Skip to main content

A Culture of Caring

I pay much more attention to the theme of culture than I used to.  This signifies that I recognize how important culture is.  Of course, culture has always been important, but I did not recognize how important it is.  Culture is important for high performing teams.  And clearly, the reverse is also true.  Culture is important for low performing teams.
           
Culture is not inherently a spiritual issue.  But it can and does become involved in the spiritual dimension when that dimension is present.  There is a huge amount of scholarship about culture.  It is a concern in various departments on a college campus---sociology, business, history and so on.  But I am not interested in the scholarly, formal definitions of culture.  I prefer to use a simple definition.
           
Culture is how people think, feel, and act alone and when they are together.  Groups of all kinds have culture; it is impossible not to have a culture.  Teams, churches, businesses, sororities, etc. all have some kind of culture.  However, most of us live in a particular culture and act out of that culture, but we never think about it.  It is like the air we breathe. 
           
It is easy to guess that there are strong and weak cultures, lively and deadly cultures, and so on.  I suggest that cultures can change, but they do so very slowly.  They can change by giving intentional leadership to culture change.  This often happens when a group gets a new president or a team gets a new coach.  It is easier to change the culture of a small group.  If you have a business with fifty thousand employees, it is going to take some real effort and time to change a culture.
           
The other side intentional culture change is the fact that culture change can happen rather unintentionally.  This is especially true for the groups with smaller memberships.  Consider the old saying: a rotten apple ruins the whole barrel.  This represents culture change.  A good barrel of apples is a sitting duck for a few bad apples.  Many of us have had experiences with teams or groups where one or two new characters came into the picture and seemingly messed things up for the whole group.
           
Any of us who are members of churches, synagogues or mosques know this is true for our groups as well.  Sometimes I visit a church and very quickly you get a “feel” for the place.  That “feel” is a quick sense of the culture.  Is it a warm, welcoming place?  Do they seem happy that I am here?  Sometimes groups pay lip service to the right kind of culture, but they live it out very differently.  The bulletin may say they are a welcoming community, but then I wonder why no one greets me, speaks to me or seems to care that I am there!
           
I am very aware of this when I begin a new class each semester.  I know that this group of students and I will form some kind of culture.  Even if we don’t think about it, a culture will form.  And once it forms, it is indeed difficult to change.  So I am very intentional about trying to help the group form a culture that is going to be open, curious, etc.  I know I cannot form the culture by myself.  But I know I have a major role in its formation.
           
To form a culture means we form how people think, feel and act in that culture.  Certainly, reputation and tradition play a part.  For example, if my reputation is that I am a boring professor, then people come expecting me to be boring and the culture begins to be formed around that expectation.  That same thing holds true for local congregations and perhaps even entire denominations.  If a church’s reputation is that it is a “cold place,” visitors come figuring that will be their experience.  Again, it’s difficult to change, so my idea is to form it in good ways from the beginning.
           
So when I meet a class for the first time, I know the foundation for a culture is being laid.  A key for me is to begin making connections and helping students make connections with each other.  I do this because connection is the link to caring.  If I feel connected to you, I am much more likely to care about you and to care for you.  And that is reciprocal.  You care about me.  So if we begin to build a web of connection---even that first day early on---then the caring will follow.  That builds a strong culture that is not dependent on me to carry the load.
           
It seems to me this is exactly what Jesus did with his disciples.  He called them into friendship.  In fact, in John’s Gospel Jesus explicitly said, “I call you friends.”  He intentionally had small groups.  They worshipped together, they ate together, and they cared for each other.  They were forming a culture.
           
I am amazed that the culture became so strong, it survived the death of Jesus, their leader, and has evolved and grow in unbelievable ways over 20 centuries.  Strong cultures survive and thrive.  Strong cultures are caring culture. They pursue and promote peace.  They are effective agents of the Spirit in our world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri