Skip to main content

Providence

Some who see the title for this inspirational piece might think I am writing something about the capital city of Rhode Island!  I could do that.  I lived in Boston for six years and was in Providence many times.  It is a fascinating city with a distinctive history of its own, even though it is a mere hour from Boston.  But this piece is not about Providence, RI.

Instead I want to share some thoughts about providence---a theological concept.  I know I usually don’t do too much with theology---at least, explicitly.  Basically, I am more interested in spirituality, but I recognize all spiritualities have some kind of theological expression.  This does not mean all spiritualities talk about God in some fashion.  Even Buddhism does not believe in a single, personal God the way many Jews, Christians and Muslims do.  But even those who don’t have a personal God have a sense of theology---an explanation of their fundamental principles.

Typically, the three Abrahamic faiths---Judaism, Christianity and Islam---do have some kind of God.  Of course, there are many ways to conceive of God, to describe God and to theologize about the Divine One.  When we talk about God, we necessarily are using symbols, metaphors, images, etc.  Even words themselves are symbols.  For example, we all agree to reference some feline animal when we use the three-letter word, cat.  Those three letters suggest a particular kind of animal.  No one thinks of an elephant when we hear “cat.”

This is a slow way of developing the context for the idea of providence.  Providence, as I want to use it, is a particular way of talking about how God is involved in the world---our world.  Of course, this assumes the God in whom I believe in somehow interested in and involved in the world.  Granted that it is theological assumption.  But spiritually speaking, I claim I have some experience that backs up that assumption---at least for me.

We get a good clue what providence means when we realize the verb is “provide.”  Providence is the result of someone providing.  When I see it this way, I realize that I, too, have been an agent of providence.  Every parent has been providential (the adjective).  You cannot bring a baby into your house without having to provide for the little one.  You feed her, change diapers and the list goes on and on!  We hear someone claim to be the “main provider.”  All this helps understand the meaning of providence.

With this we can now make a theological move.  We make what is called an analogy.  My role as a parent to my two daughters is an analogy to understand that is how God as Parent (Father or Mother) provides.  I think the metaphor of Father or Mother helps describe and understand the God in whom I believe.  To call these concepts metaphors does not mean I have to believe God literally is a Parent.  But God functions parentally---and that in a providential way.

I have a sense that God is somehow the creator of our world.  Personally, I am quite ok with understanding creation as evolution.  I don’t think God literally created our world in six days---six real days.  I also read the Genesis creation story metaphorically.  The writers of that text did not have the scientific sophistication we have today.  But those writers and I share the conviction that God is creative.  And I am the subject of that creativity.

What’s more, God is also providential.  God does not simply create, step back and say, “Good luck!”  The creative God is an involved, caring One.  God provides.  But like I know as an earthly parent, my kids did not always accept or appreciate my providing.  They had the freedom to say “no.”  Sometimes the look they gave me was “get lost!”  I suspect we do the same thing to the providential God.

And that is where the idea of providence is even more important to me.  I prefer that to the language of predestination.  God provides; God does not make or force.  God desires, allows, hopes that we do what is good and loving.  God wants the best for us, but too often we prefer our own egocentric, short-term goods and loves.  But God never gives up.  That is a theological assumption---but an important one for me.

Providence is always good news.  God never provides bad options or bad things for us---any more than a good parent would provide bad things.  This does not mean I won’t have some bad spots in life.  I can fail; I can be sad.  To be human is not to be perfect, but to be in process.  God honors that, but I am not sure God hopes for less than perfection.  And talking about perfection brings me to the last point.

I know in Greek the word we often translate as “perfect” can also be translated “finished” or “complete.”  That is where I see providence taking us---to becoming a finished person---a complete person.  Somehow death is part of the deal.  So providence clearly includes death---but maybe even more.  I am not worried; God provides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri