Skip to main content

Healing Power of Failure

The title of this inspirational piece was provided by a section header in a book I have enjoyed and which I still use in a class.  The book, The Active Life, by my friend, Parker Palmer, helps with the basics of living the kind of life I want.  The subtitle of the book is quite revealing: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity and Caring.  I try to do all three things in my life.  I still work.  I hope to be creative.  And I want to care.  Let’s explore all three.

I was reading one of his chapters when I landed on the header of a section in that chapter.  The header read: “The Healing Power of Failure.”  I was immediately intrigued by the idea that somehow failure could be healing.  I certainly have known enough about failure.  Anyone my age has failed a few times.  If he or she has not, that person is likely to be lying---or never tried anything!

I jumped into the section to see how Palmer was going to develop it.  One of the things Palmer suggests is failure is not always a teacher.  Many of us choose to ignore it.  But he counsels that we “confront, acknowledge and explore” failure.  I reckon this takes a certain amount of courage.  This is good counsel for me.  I am sure I am one of those who usually ignore failure---or, at least, minimize it.  But I never learn from it if I do this.

Palmer develops his ideas in ways that help me to learn.  He says that failure is often paradoxical.  Palmer claims, “The paradox is that failure may turn to growth, while success can turn to self-satisfaction and closure.”  When Palmer put it this way, I began to take off on my own analysis.

Part of what I have been doing the last few years is to be involved in some entrepreneurial and innovative engagements.  To hang out with people who are quite innovative is exciting.  They do tend to be people with courageous hearts.  When I am tentative, they are ready to jump.  By saying this, I don’t mean to say they are reckless, much less stupid.  But they actively are responding to opportunities and trying to create opportunities.  It can be thrilling.

Palmer has a one-liner that tells me why innovative people are in the minority---why so many of us are afraid to participate in this dynamic.  He says, “Our culture puts such a premium on success, and such sanctions on failure, that we find it hard to affirm the rightness of failing at a good cause, to affirm the creativity that failure can contain.”

Again, this helps me re-focus the way I want to live.  I value success, but it is not the most important thing in my life.  And this is certainly true when I think about the spiritual journey.  The goal of a spiritual journey is not to succeed.  I am not even sure what a “successful spiritual journey” would even mean.  Most folks would not consider Jesus’ life to be “successful.”  It was meaningful, significant and world changing.  But being killed is not success.  And my spiritual journey is not geared to success either.

Maybe once more I have grasped an important theme in referring to Jesus.  If his spiritual journey was meaningful, significant and world changing, why should that not be true of mine and of yours?  It is a tall order to live that way, but to live in the Spirit is a big challenge.

This commitment to lead a spiritual life may set us up for failure.  I remind you of Palmer’s words: “our culture puts such a premium on success…that we find it hard to affirm the rightness of failing at a good cause.”  The good cause of the spiritual life includes following the implications of our deep commitment.  My deep commitment is to the God who created and called me into relationship.  That relationship may make demands on me that I would not make on myself.  But what God desires is always that “good cause” that Palmer describes.

The good cause that is God asks me to love enemies.  I am not sure I would do that if it were solely up to me.  I am confident I have the power to hate.  But God does not desire that.  So I am living a life in which I am trying to love all people at all times.  I am failing in this, but I am trying to learn from my failure.  It would be easy enough to give up.  But that would be the ultimate failure and from that there is nothing to learn.

The kind of love which I am trying to live out does at times lead to failure.  But failing at a good cause can be healing.  Instead of being wounded by my failure to love, I am healed and given more hope that I am learning and can be better in the future.  Many of us are not even good at loving those we say we love!  No wonder loving enemies is so hard.

But I am trying and my failures are healed by the power of a larger Love than I am.  And the healing power of failure leads to more profound love.  I am glad to be on the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri