Skip to main content

Sitting on the Grass

The title of this inspirational piece might suggest connotations of college kids at a weekend party in the spring or summer doing drugs.  At least, we might suspect some marijuana to be part of the scene.  If we were to approach this lawn party, we would expect to get a whiff of a pungent order that would betray the common college drug.  But this suspicion would be wildly off the mark.  Perhaps it points out the perceptions and prejudices that still exist in our minds.
           
Rather let me take you to the truth of the scene.  It has to do with Spirit rather than spirits!  It has to do with a group of students whom I call friends.  I am fond of suggesting to college students that the word, colleague, must surely be related to the word, college.  Most faculty assume their fellow faculty are colleagues and I agree.  I value very much my faculty colleagues.  I appreciate the broad range of knowledge and expertise they bring to the table.  I am especially in awe of some colleagues in the sciences and the Conservatory of Music where I feel so inadequately informed or lacking talent. 
           
I also like to think of college students as colleagues.  Perhaps not all college students are colleagues of mine---not yet anyway.  When I use the term, colleague, I like to think they are friends of mine.  I see colleague to suggest some kind of personal relationship with someone.  And so I use it of college students, too.  The ones who choose to do a class with me become known to me.  They cannot sit in the room for a semester and remain unknown.  They may begin as a college student, but they become a colleague.
           
Recently, I was teaching a class called Spiritual Disciplines.  That may not be a typical college class---even for a Religion Department.  But it is one that I very much enjoy.  Part of the requirement---the main part as far as I am concerned---is a requirement to develop a regular spiritual practice of discipline.  I offer a range of disciplines, so no one is stuck with prayer unless they want to do it.
           
The other thing that happens is they do significant group work.  And then for one day during the semester, a group involves the rest of us in a spiritual experience.  And so it was that we were led to the grassy area on campus.  As I sat down on the grass, I had to laugh.  I am supposed to be in charge and I have no clue what we are going to do!  But I was not worried.  These friends of mine have become colleagues as the semester’s weeks unfolded.  I trusted them as colleagues.  More than likely, they know things I don’t know. 
           
Carefully and thoughtfully we were guided into a time of meditation.  When I think of the range of spiritual disciplines, I know meditation is not my strength.  I know a fair amount about it.  I could probably lecture on it.  But that does not make me an expert.  Besides, I don’t think the point of meditating is to become an expert.  The purpose of meditation is something else---being mindful, connecting with God, etc.  I was up for this.  So I sat.
           
I closed my eyes because I trusted.  I did not have any urge to be in control or stay in control.  And in the process I was doing one of the things spiritual discipline teaches.  Many of the disciplines are designed to move me beyond my ego’s need to be in control.  At least for me, spiritual disciplines help me routinely focus on God, connect with God and live in a meaningful relationship with the One who is an endless Source of love and grace.  On my own I am more likely to make a mess of life rather than be a miracle.
           
As I sat in the grass, I noticed my body relaxing.  I was not particularly stressed, but I also was not as connected to myself, to others and to my world as I might want.  And had I not meditated, I never would have known that.  As my body relaxed, my spirit began to emerge into fuller awareness.  I felt love erupting from within.  I did not have to open my eyes to look at the people around me.  I already knew them.  I knew what they looked like.  They were my colleagues.
           
I don’t know how long I sat in the grass.  I did not have to look at my watch.  I knew my colleagues were sensitive to the situation.  We would be taken care of.  Care and love do those kinds of things.  I smile as I think about all the times that gang and I talked about love and care and all that “book stuff.”  I am confident they could write a decent essay about love.  But I am more sure they know about love and that they love me.
           
Sitting in the grass was just one small part of my day.  If someone were to have observed it, I am sure it was unimpressive.  But I don’t think the spiritual journey is necessarily designed for being impressive.  Spiritual disciplines are not taken on to become spiritually spectacular.  The spiritual journey for most of us is a quiet, deep walk into a meaningful life with God and others.
           
Sitting in the grass with my colleagues turned out to be a laboratory of the Spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri