Skip to main content

There

Sometimes ideas for these inspirational reflections come from odd places.  This one grew out of an innocent encounter in a hallway.  I had just finished exercising and was walking out of the building.  Around the corner came a secretary into a near collision with me.  Since I know her, I simply greeted her with the all-too-routine, “how’s it goin’?  Without thinking much, she said, “I’m getting there.”  Perhaps too flippantly, I blurted out, “will you know ‘there’ when you get there?”

Maybe my last question was flip.  Occasionally, I know that I have been flip.  I am flip when I don’t know much about something or when I am trying to be funny.  It normally is shrugged off with a laugh and we move on to something else.  Occasionally being flip is a bad move.  It is not a good thing to drop into a serious situation.  Then I usually have to apologize and be sorry.

The encounter today with the secretary ended rather interestingly and has caused me to ponder further the scene.  As we walked down the hallway a bit further---she to her office and me out the door to the parking lot---another intriguing step was taken.  She picked up on my question, “will you know ‘there’ when you get there.”  “I’m not sure,” she said with a pensive look.  We split and went our separate ways.  I was left to ponder or put it out of my mind.

I could not put it out of my mind.  The idea of “there” was now tantalizingly lodged in my brain and would not let me ignore it.  I knew I had to explore “there!”  The first thing that occurs to me is the fact “there” has many different levels and nuances.  Sometimes it is very clear and other times it is vague and, perhaps, indeterminate.

There are easy situations to know “there” is very clear.  Recently, I drove to Washington, DC.  I knew when I got there because I could see the famous Washington monument.  Had I discovered Independence Hall, I would have known I was in Philadelphia and though I had intended to go to DC, I was not there.  There are other easy determinations.  If I have a set of exams to grade, my goal is to finish them.  When the last one is marked, I know I am “there.”  Often “there” is quite specific, determinate and literal.  To know we are “there” is easy.

At the other end of the spectrum, “there” can be more figurative than literal, less determinate and, maybe, more general or even mysterious.  Take something like maturity for example.  We all have a sense about maturity.  But it usually is not something most of us have defined and have specific requirements.  We can make a judgment about someone being mature, but it is not easy or even accurate.  And two people might not agree on some person’s maturity.

When we move the consideration of “there” into our spiritual lives, it continues to fascinate me.  Again, I am sure both levels of “there” apply.  There are times when “there” is quite literal, specific and determinate.  This means there are occasions in spirituality much like the grading of exams.  For example, in my practice of spiritual disciplines, I will know I am “there” if I pray each day like I wanted to or if I meditate as intended.  As long as “there” is specific, literal and determinate, it is easy to measure or evaluate.

This is important because too often I do not get “there.”  I intend to pray, but I get too busy or neglect it.  It slips down the list of my priorities.  When this happens, it is important not to get too down on myself.  Certainly, we don’t beat ourselves up if we don’t get “there.”  We simply need to decide whether we really want to get “there.”  We have to be honest with ourselves.  And this leads to the other level of “there.”

Spiritually speaking, the other level of “there” is more like the maturity example.  I do think each of us is capable of spiritual depth, i.e. spiritual maturity.  But knowing if we are “there” is certainly not easy.  Clearly, Jesus was “there.”  And other saintly folks know it in their lives.  Just as certainly, I am not “there.”

Spiritual maturity is something I would like to experience.  However, I suspect in the spirituality experience, there is a paradox here. I suspect the ones who truly become spiritually mature do not know or claim that they are “there.”  In fact, I think they would be surprised to have people say that they were spiritually mature.  Paradoxically, it seems they can be “there” and not know they are there!

And this brings us to the last point.  In the spiritual journey, “there” is likely more a process than a destination or achievement.  Getting there is a daily journey that matches our effort and God’s grace.  I am thankful to be on the journey.  I want to get “there,” even if it is fairly general, figurative and indeterminate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri