Skip to main content

Without a Doubt

A friend sent me an interesting article that I want to share some parts of it with you and a little commentary on it.  The article carried the intriguing title, “God is a Question, Not an Answer.”  The author, William Irwin, is a philosophy professor at a college at King’s College.  What I did not know was the phrase apparently comes from a fairly recent novel.  The novel is not important; what is important is the phrase that God is a question, not the answer. 
           
Irwin offers his perspective within the first paragraph.  Irwin says that phrase resonates with him.  He comments, “The question is permanent; answers are temporary.  I live in the question.”  Some of us may laugh off this perspective by saying what else would you expect from a college philosophy teacher!  But that is too easy.  I don’t go as far as Irwin, but I do hold high regard for questions.  And no one who is an adult should say all answers are sacred and never change.  Most of us know we have changed our minds on some of our earlier “answers” in life.  So let’s persevere a little further.
           
I was not surprised to see Irwin take the article into a discussion about atheists and believers.  However, I know it is too superficial simply to assume all atheists only have questions and all believers think they have answers.  In fact, it is often just the contrary.  Too often, atheists feel like they have all the answers---with respect to God at least.  And many believers---myself included---do have questions.
           
Irwin is correct when he says, “Any honest atheist must admit that he has doubts, that occasionally he thinks he might be wrong, that there could be a God after all…”  I think this is absolutely true.  Not surprisingly, Irwin moves to the other side.  Basically, I agree with him.  If believers are honest, they also will likely harbor some doubts at times.  I know I certainly do.  Then Irwin moves to what might be the most important point.

Irwin says, “People who claim certainty about God worry me, both those who believe and those who don’t believe.  They do not really listen to the other side of conversations, and they are too ready to impose their views on others.”  This seems quite fair to me and does resonate with my experience.  Like Irwin, I am a bit uneasy with atheists who are too certain they know and believers who also are too certain they know for sure. 

And then Irwin adds a sentence that does make sense to me, but in saying so, I realize that opens me to some suspicions.  He claims, “It is impossible to be certain about God.”  Allow me to unpack that, as I understand it.  I agree with Irwin because I believe he is saying it is impossible to know with a certainty that is beyond doubt that there is a God.  I know I cannot.  I do have faith in God---in fact, I would say it is a mature, strong faith.

But that strong, mature faith still does not amount to an absolute certainty, which excludes any doubts whatsoever.  And even if I were certain about God, I could not prove it to an atheist.  Even if I were certain, my certainty cannot become the certainty of someone else.  I have faith in God precisely because I cannot be certain.  And I am ok with that.  God is a unique Being in our world.  We know God by hints, by analogy, by images we create out of experiences that may feel unquestionable, but still cannot be called certain beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I like the quip from that earlier twentieth century philosopher, Bertrand Russell, who also was an atheist.  When asked what he would say, if he died and discovered there actually was a God whom he met at judgment, Russell quipped, “You gave us insufficient evidence” that God existed!  I suppose if I were to die and realize there is no God, I might say something like, “Wow, I misread the evidence.”  That is the arena where faith is operative.  There can be doubts.  I am not certain.

I admit I probably liked the article because near the end, Irwin quoted my favorite monk, Thomas Merton.  When Merton comments on faith, he says faith “is a decision, a judgment that is fully and deliberately taken in the light of a truth that cannot be proven---it is not merely the acceptance of a decision that has been make by somebody else.”  That description resonates deeply with how I understand faith.

As much as I might hope that it would be possible to have faith that had no doubt, I realize this is not possible.  If it were, that would not be called faith; that would be certainty.  So when it comes to God, there cannot be life without a doubt.  But the good news is I don’t linger with the doubt.  I don’t let my doubts drag me into the pit of depression and despair.

Whatever doubts I have lead me to look more carefully for how and where God is present with me.  My doubts leave me humble and honest with myself and others.  And my doubts save me from the arrogance of the believer and the arrogance of the atheist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri