Skip to main content

Living With Purpose

I continue to work through Barbara Brown Taylor’s book, An Altar in the World.  In this book Taylor is looking at everyday experiences to show that they can become practices, which enhance our spiritual growth.  The chapter I just read is entitled, “The Practice of Living with Purpose.”  When I saw the title, I knew I would resonate with it.  The theme of purpose has been an important one for me for a long time. 
           
Taylor has a funny autobiographical story of her search for what God wanted her to do in life---for her that would become her purpose.  Finally, she narrates, God spoke to her and gave her the one-line purpose for her life.  What did God tell her to do?  “God said, ‘Anything that pleases you.’”  Well, that is clear, but it is pretty general!

As Taylor said, “At one level, that answer was no help at all.  The ball was back in my court again, where God had left me all kinds of room to lob it wherever I wanted…Whatever I decided to do for a living, it was not what I did but how I did it that mattered.”  I like her conclusion, because it matches my own experience.  Taylor tells us, “If I wanted a life of meaning, then I was going to have to apply the purpose for myself.”  In a way I think God can honor almost any avenue of work and life that brings the good, health and well-being. 

Taylor then tells the story of a guy who works in a glass factory.  His job was fairly non-descript.  His work did not provide much interest; it was actually fairly unpleasant.  But the guy was not unhappy.  He was happy because his heart was in another place.  He coached a soccer team in his little town.  When work was finished, he would head to the soccer pitch, as they call the soccer field in England.  As Taylor says, he “became an amateur soccer coach.”  Then Taylor plays with the word, amateur.

Because I know Latin, I knew where she was going.  Even though he was an amateur, that “did not mean that he was unskilled at coaching, although he was certainly unpaid.  It meant that he loved what he was doing.  Coaching was his amore, the thing that wedded his life to the players and the whole village for whom they played.”  If you do not recognize that Latin word, it is part of the root word for “love.”  An amateur is someone who does what he or she does because of the love of the thing.  They are not professional only because they are not being paid.

Taylor ends the chapter by talking about what I would call a “general vocation” to which we are all called.  This larger vocation is “the job of loving God and neighbor as myself.”  She then elaborates.  “Over the years I have come to think of this as the vocation of becoming fully human.”  Once again, this is fairly simple, but it is not always easy.  It sounds simple to say love God and also your neighbor.  And doubtlessly, we fool ourselves that we really do love God.  Because God is rather abstract, it is easy to assume I love God.

But the loving of neighbor is not always so easy.  Of course, some of my neighbors are pretty easy.  There actually are some lovable folks in my daily life.  They make loving them easy.  I look more like a pro and not an amateur when I love them.  But then, there are others.  I am tempted to think God has provided a few rascals in my life.  “There you go,” says God, “try loving these rascals!”  They may be grumpy.  Often they seem way too demanding!  I have a couple complainers in my circle.  And then there is the one guy who is never happy regardless of how loving I am.  That guy always wants more.  That guy puts me back in love kindergarten every time!

It is with this cohort of people that my purpose becomes so clear.  I wince because I know God is not going to be content with me loving only the easy ones.  And God did advise that I love all my neighbors.  On my bad days, I can’t see why loving most of my neighbors isn’t enough.  If I can’t love all of them, then I need practice.  I need to work on the amore---the love---that makes me a really good amateur lover.

As I write all of this and experience the temptation to whimper a bit about how hard it is, I suddenly realize I, too, am a neighbor.  I am also the neighbor whom all my Christian and religious friends are called to love.  I am their test.  Perhaps on my bad days, I am one of the rascals.  It never occurs to me, but I am the arena in which some folks are working out their purpose.  If I am unlovable, then I am like that job that is hated and which never provides purpose or meaning.

I appreciate the clarity of Taylor’s discussion of living with purpose.  It is not that complicated.  The good news is she unhooks living with purpose from our job.  Too many folks think it has to be connected with job or work.  But that would discount kids, older people and the sick.  If purpose is tied up with work, then they are out of luck---or condemned to life without purpose.

Taylor’s word and now my word are: if you can love, you can have purpose.  Simply love God.  And equally, love neighbor.  If you can do that, then keep doing it.  You have found living with a purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri