Skip to main content

Catholicity

I find ideas in funny places.  Maybe that is because I am always looking for new ideas, always attentive to where something fresh may come to my awareness.  I read an odd collection of things.  I found the idea for this inspirational reflection in a book review.  The review is focused on a book I hope to read in the near future.  The author of the book is a Franciscan sister, Ilia Delio.  I have never met her, although I would dearly love to do so.  I know she teaches at Villanova University in the Philadelphia area, so maybe I will make a trip to visit with her.
           
Sister Delio has a fascinating background.  She is a scientist who is also trained as a theologian.  She has a doctorate in Pharmacology.  She was pursuing a postdoctoral fellowship when she discerned that God was calling her in a different direction.  Ultimately she wound up with the Franciscan tradition.  That is when she began study theology, which she now teaches.  And she is writing on issues of science and religion, particularly on issues around evolution, the nature of the universe and God.
           
What I did not know was that Delio has published a new book.  A review by Jamie Manson informed me about her new book, Making All Things New: Catholicity, Cosmology and Consciousness.  Manson’s review was given the title, “Delio breathes new life into the term ‘catholic.’”  I discovered I already knew some of the things Manson was telling me that Delio was figuring out.  I already knew some things about the term, “catholic.”  But Delio also added to what I knew.  Let’s trace that discovery through this book review.
           
Originally, the word, “catholic,” is a Greek word.  It is a transliteration of the Greek, which means the way we see it is a letter-by-letter rendition of the Greek word into English letters.  Furthermore, the original Greek word is actually a compound word.  As the review rightly points out, the “cat” part is actually a preposition in Greek---literally written “kata.”  That preposition means “through.”  This is also what Delio learns.
           
The main part of the word, “catholic,” comes from the Greek, houlou, and means “whole.”  The preposition coupled with the noun gives us the adverb meaning “wholly.”  In this work with words Delio is following a lead of the Jesuit scholar, John Haughey.  I also know his work and very much appreciate it.  The book review, Manson, quotes one passage from Haughey, which summarizes the whole word exploration.  Katholikos, a substantive that is best rendered ‘catholicity’ in English…connotes movement towards universality or wholeness.”
           
We have taken some pains to come to the realization that our English word, “catholic” or “catholicity,” basically means universality or wholeness.  While I appreciate the intent of the Roman Catholic Church using the word, it cannot in good faith claim everything around catholic.  I trust there is room for Quakers, Methodists, Nazarenes and non-denominational folks, too.  And who knows, maybe we will ultimately even find Jews, Buddhists and all the rest.  My God is big enough to do this kind of ultimate catholic work!
           
What fascinates me is to get a glimpse of what Delio is going to do with this newfound knowledge.  This review gives me a hint, which I share with you, but I will go to the book for the full story.  The hint emerges in these words from Delio.  She says that doing this background word-work shows her the word, “catholic,” to be the “truest meaning as the very inner dynamic of an evolutionary universe.”  That is a bold claim.  Catholicity is the inner dynamic of the evolution of the universe; this claims catholicity is the main point of the universe!  This is close to the early Greek meaning of the term: catholicity points to the wholeness of the universe---its orderliness.  Delio takes the term even further.
           
Delio does a thorough review of the term, “catholic,” in the history of the Christian Church.  In the process she recovers how the term came to be applied to Jesus.  Clearly, this is a Christian move, but one that intrigues me.  She notes the early church used the word, “catholic,” to apply to the church, because the church understood Jesus to be catholic, a “whole-maker.”  I love that way to describe who Jesus was and what his ministry was about.  As she says, the ministry of this “whole-maker” was characterized by “love, mercy and compassion” and that he “healed a fragmented humanity.”
           
I resonate with the image of Jesus as catholic---as a “whole-maker.”  I agree that sin---by whatever contemporary word you want to use---fragments, alienates, separates, dissipates, destroys and all the rest.  Sin begs for healing.  It will be healed when made whole again.  That is the work of Jesus. 
           
That is the same work for all the followers of Jesus.  And I dare say, it is the work of Buddhists, Hindus and all the rest.  I also say it is the call to work for the atheist and the agnostic.  If you are human, there is “whole-making” work to do.  Not to do it is to say ok to the mayhem, violence and disasters of our current world.  Let’s get to work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri