Skip to main content

The Divine Ear

While I try to stay up on the news and even novel things that are happening in various corners of the knowledge world, I also try to stay grounded in my own Christian tradition.  That tradition is a resource.  It is like soul food.  I need a healthy balanced diet of soul food to stay healthy.  It is like the food balance we need to be healthy and physically well. 

One thing I do is follow the daily lectionary.  Because of my association with the monastic tradition, I follow the daily lectionary provided for Benedictine monks.  Many years ago I became a Benedictine oblate.  That means I am affiliated with a local Benedictine monastery and am something like a lay member there.  I find that way of life to offer a sane choice of living within an often-insane world.   

Of course one of the things I quickly learned when I began hanging out with the monks is they can be as crazy as those of us who don’t live in the monastery.  Monks have taken vows to try as hard as they can to live a life of the Spirit.  They see Jesus as a great role model for their own life’s journey.  The guidelines for a healthy spiritual life are fairly clear.  But all of this matters not, until they begin to put it into practice.  That’s the hard part.    

The Benedictines carve up the day to have a balance of worship and work.  In fact that is their motto---worship and work---Ora et Labora.  The great thing about this is their decision that worship (broadly defined) is central to their lives.  They know as well as I do, if they do not intentionally make this happen, their lives will be swallowed up in busyness just like my life can be.   

The lectionary is the predetermined selection of readings and prayers all Benedictines say all around the world at appointed times.  It begins with an early morning period of worship replete with Psalms, bible readings and times for meditation.  And there are similar spots throughout the day, culminating in a time at the end of the day called Compline, which means complete or finished. 

I don’t follow all of the appointed times for spiritual refreshment, but I try to do some of them.  It is easiest for me to do the morning one and or the evening one.  Compline is my favorite---coming at the end of the day.  Too often, however, I choose some lesser activity---like watching basketball or something.  I guess I am a work-in-progress! 

Yesterday I managed to spend some time with the early morning lectionary reading.  The first Psalm that was offered was Psalm 86.  I usually read the entire Psalm, but then I settle in on one or two verses so I can let that portion feed my soul.  So yesterday I focused on the first two verses of Psalm 86.  There was much there to ponder. 

I laughed at the audacity of the Psalmist with these opening words: “Incline your ear to me, O Lord…” (86:1)  That sounds like a spiritual, “Hey Lord!  Listen up!”  There is no meek worm offering this request.  It is a bold spirit.  I want to emulate that, too.  The audacity continues when the Psalmist asks God to “answer me.”  At that point the Psalmist asks this of God and confesses, “For I am poor and needy.”  My own Quaker tradition would say with the Psalmist: “You speak my mind.”  That means something like, “That’s just how I was thinking.” 

I doubt that the Psalmist meant that he was economically poor---although maybe he was.  I am not financially poor.  But I am usually dealing with poverty of spirit.  As we used to say on the farm, “we’re running on the fumes.”  Busy lives and busy schedules sap us of our energy and our spirit and we’re running on the fumes of our lives.  We are poor and needy.  We know there is a source of living water. 

The second verse of Psalm 86 follows with two more petitions.  “Preserve my life, for I am devoted to you; save your servant who trusts in you.”  I am not sure the Psalmist is saying he is literally dying and asks that his life be preserved.  Instead, I think maybe the issue is spiritual dying.  I certainly know the experience of being so unplugged from life that it feels “as if” I am dead. 

The final petition is touching.  “Save me.”  I don’t take this in an altar call, revivalistic sense---although there is nothing wrong with that.  I learned in Greek the word often translated “save” could also be translated “heal.”  I like the word the petition that way: “heal me.  Make me whole.”  That is my request, too.  That is what I will speak into the Divine ear.         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri