Skip to main content

Having a Purpose is Good News

As I began to study religion in college, I began to acquire information and knowledge that helped me to think about my own religious heritage.  Acquiring some knowledge also helped me to think about life.  In the days when I was growing up on an Indiana farm, there was not the technology that exists today.  Because of that, I spent great deal of time by myself riding a tractor in some field.  There were only things to do: think and daydream.  I did a huge amount of both!           

This life was a good life.  But there was one drawback, which I did not recognize at the time.  The drawback was that I did not have enough information, experience and knowledge to make sense of life.  I was given a rudimentary religious education that probably helped make sense of life.  But I don’t think I paid much attention and, certainly, did not really “own” it as my perspective.  In some ways it was like a borrowed or rented perspective.           

I doubt that I was unusual.  I do not think babies come equipped with meaning and purpose in their lives.  Those are not issues of our DNA.  Of course, we are exposed early on to our parents “take” on life.  However our parents and friends make sense of their lives is the way we typically will take on to make sense of our lives.  But it is often a “make do” way of making sense of life.             

Inevitably most of us come to question our inheritance.  In my case I began to wonder if I were really a Quaker or actually a Christian.  Both were very good ways of making sense of life, but if they were to be really meaningful, I needed to work with them and “own” them.  I needed to get to the place where I bought them, instead of simply borrowing them from parents and friends.  For me this process really began in college.           

Decades later, I can say that I have a significant amount of knowledge.  I continue to take in information.  Hopefully in the process of living, I have gained some wisdom, too.  One writer I like describes wisdom in this way: it is deep understanding with practical application.  In my life this means that religion (or spirituality) is not simply some head knowledge.  To the contrary, my spirituality informs and forms my life, as I go forward.           

All this was in place when I read an interesting tweet.  The title of the tweet was catchy: “A new study suggests emotional state does not affect your longevity, but having a purpose in life does.”  Wow, I exclaimed.  I was hooked.  I opened the little article to read the details.  The title of the article was even more riveting: “Sense of Purpose Lengthens Life.”  I loved the first line, which reassured me.  “New research finds having a purpose in life appears to be an excellent buffer against mortality risk across one’s adult years.”             

I am not so naïve as to think getting a purpose in life guarantees a long life.  But I do agree with the sentiments of the article.  I am not surprised that having a purpose in life actually enhances the chances that we will live to a ripe old age.  I suspect there are a number of factors that would account for this.           

I can imagine having a purpose in life means that we generally take better care of ourselves.  To live in despair is to live without hope.  If we have no hope, then we really don’t care---or, as we hear in common language, “I don’t give a damn.”  Having a purpose means we do give a damn---whatever that means!  To have a purpose means we are more likely to be content with today and we actually look forward to the next day and the next week and so on.  We know we are mortal, but we are in no hurry to be mortem!          

I am not so narrow to think only religion or spirituality give us meaning and purpose.  But I am certain spirituality is a great indicator that you have some purpose in life.  With an authentic spirituality in our lives, we would expect that we have some kind of vision for our lives.  In fact, as I work with students, I like to ask them, “so what is your spiritual vision for your life?”  That is a difficult question that most folks have never pondered.  But if you can begin to answer that, you have a purpose.  And maybe you will live longer.           

And even if I don’t live longer, in my own case I know my life will be better, richer, and more satisfying.  I would like to live a long life.  That is true, even though I am entering my autumn years, as some would have it.  But I don’t mind getting older.  I would mind getting purposeless and being condemned to live a meaningless life.  For me, that would be mortem while still breathing!           

I come away from this reflection reassured.  I am reassured that having a purpose is good news.  My ministry now is to spread the good news.           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri