Skip to main content

Four Saints

He did not call them saints, but I am going to bless them as saints.  I am not Roman Catholic, so I can take all their saints and add some.  And I think in his heart of hearts, Pope Francis would agree with me.  In his recent speech to the US Congress the Pope referenced these four people for very specific reasons.   I found the speech inspiring and his framing of the speech around these four people a clever move to speak to the American people.           

Pope Francis used each of the four saints to make a particular point.  I was pleased with the four people he chose.  His four saints include Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Jr., Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton.  Two of the four would be universally known in the United States.  Three of the four have lived during some part of my own lifetime.  We all know when Lincoln was assassinated.  Both King and Merton died in 1968 and Dorothy Day died in 1980.             

In a paragraph near the end of the address to the US Congress, Pope Francis gives his reason for choosing these four.  He lines up each one with the theme he wants them to introduce and to which he calls each and every one of us to emulate.  The Pope says it this way: “Three sons and a daughter of this land, four individuals and four dreams: Lincoln, liberty; Martin Luther King, liberty in plurality and non-exclusion; Dorothy Day, social justice and the rights of persons; and Thomas Merton, the capacity for dialogue and openness to God.”           

It is easy for me to see all four people as people of faith and, therefore, I call them saints.  And the themes the Pope associates with each of the four I also see as spiritual.  Let’s look briefly as each theme to see how deeply spiritual his message to the Congress really was.           

First is Abraham Lincoln, the champion of liberty.  “And freedom for all” goes the phrase which Lincoln was willing to do everything possible to be true for people of all races.  This squares with the creation story, which declares that God creates all sorts of diversity and, I would argue, wants to bless that diversity.  Diversity clearly is a key theme of the Pope and all of us are encouraged to work for it.           

Martin Luther King, Jr. pursued that same theme of liberty, which in his case more often was talked about as freedom.  “We shall overcome” was the phrase I and so many others sang in the ‘60s as we worked for another kind of civil war---a war against racism, sexism and others who were not get a fair share of the cultural goodies.  I like the Pope’s word, non-exclusion.  That was the dream of MLK.  His dream should still be our dream---and that on a global scale.           

Dorothy Day was a daring, challenging, warm woman of faith.  She drove some of the people in the church nuts and, likely, alienated a fair share of people outside the church.  Her quest for social justice was a ministry involved with the poor and the down-and-out.  She founded the Catholic Worker House and these still are active in our own day.  She was tireless in her work to ensure the rights of all people.  Her call to justice through love is still a clarion call for each one of us to do our part and to do better.           

Thomas Merton is the one I know best.  Every other year I teach a seminar on Merton.  I visit his monastery in Kentucky every chance I get.  He routinely bugged his abbot and, I’m sure, plenty of the monks who had to put up with him.  Saints are not always the man or woman most likely to succeed in our culturally crazy world.  Merton struggled with being faithful or famous.  Because he was such a success as a writer, fame was always there to seduce him.  But he stayed in the monastery, stayed true to his vows and stayed the course to be as faithful as he knew how to be.          

I like how Pope Francis framed Merton.  He lauds him for his capacity for dialogue.  By the end of his life, Merton was in dialogue with Buddhist monks, Protestants, Muslims, Taoists, feminists and a host of others outside his natural Catholic, monastic setting.  While he was seldom allowed to travel outside the monastery, it seems as if he was always “leaving home” or “bringing others to his home.”  That work must continue in our own way in our own day. This is what the Pope dearly wants.          

And Merton is appreciated for his openness to God.  As any reader of Merton knows, he continued to grow in his faith and his witness.  In his vow to be faithful to the living God, he also was pulled into a vow to be open to whomever God wanted him to become and wherever God wanted him to go.  That same quality of openness the Pope hopes for in each one of us.  And I would like to think, that quality is what God wants, too.          

These four saints at work in the words of Pope Francis are calling each of us into our own spiritual relationship with God and work for God in the world.  We, too, will be blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri