Skip to main content

Take Care of Home

I have been reading the encyclical on climate change issued by Pope Francis. When it came out, it received a great deal of press. Long-term, it will be interesting to see what effect it may have on human thinking and action with respect to the impending crisis, as some scientists portray it. As one who is trying to walk a spiritual path, I am pleased that the Pope has spoken out.
I know the science community is duly concerned about what has happened to our world and what will happen if humanity does not change its ways. I am also less than confident humans have the fortitude to do anything differently. At least, I am not sure we will do anything differently until more of us are convinced there really is a crisis. And yet, most of us would agree waiting until you are in a crisis is not a very smart way to go.
I am trying to follow both the thought process and the rationale of the Pope’s message. I am going to take a few occasions in these inspirational reflections to unpack and present the key features as I see them. My hope is this will help me and you think more critically and spiritually about our home---the world. Indeed, this is how the papal document begins.
The title for the entire encyclical is taken from Saint Francis’ famous poem, Canticle of the Sun. Saint Francis is probably the most-loved saint of all. He certainly is my favorite. And no doubt, he is on the side of nature and taking care of our world. So it is no wonder Pope Francis chooses Saint Francis as a starting point. The encyclical begins with these words: “Laudato Sì, mì Signore---“Praise be to you, my Lord.”
This beginning with praise language reminds me of the creation stories in Genesis. In those two accounts God created things and it was declared to be “good.” The Christian tradition proclaims that our world is a product of God’s creative hand and it is naturally good. I appreciate this perspective and want all of us to operate from this perspective. In effect, it says that our world is a gift and we need to be careful of this gift we receive. Humans are not to pollute, squander or waste this precious gift. That is the Pope’s new appeal.
In the next words after the beginning Pope Francis clearly locates his work in the previous writing of Saint Francis. Pope Francis says, “In the words of this beautiful canticle, Saint Francis of Assisi reminds us that our common home is like a sister with whom we share our life and a beautiful mother who opens her arms to embrace us.” Clearly, the Pope is employing some powerful metaphors to describe our world; our world is like our sister and our mother.
Most normal people would do nothing to hurt their sister or their mother. So is the appeal of Pope Francis. After his brief introductory section, it is to this potential harm humans are doing the Pope moves. In the second section he says, “This sister now cries out to us because of the harm we have inflicted on her by our irresponsible use and abuse of the goods with which God has endowed her.” This statement can and should be read as an indictment. An indictment judges, but it is, I would argue, a fair judgment. Let’s unpack this to see how the Pope is thinking.
Essentially, the Pope says that we are responsible. We have done something wrong and we are responsible. I would agree, but I am sure there are a whole host of people who will become defensive and disagree or even get mad at the Pope. What does he know, they will ask? The Pope knows and trusts the findings of the majority of scientists who are very confident our earth---our sister and mother---are in trouble. And he is convinced, as are the scientists, that much of the problem we have caused.
The Pope is clear. We have been irresponsible. The Genesis creation stories give humanity a key role in the world. We are to be responsible. But we chose sin and to choose sin is to choose irresponsibility. That is why so many of us will be defensive and shout, “No, not true!” In effect, we want to be able to do anything we want to do and not be responsible for the consequences.
The sad part is I am old enough I can probably get away with doing whatever I want and I will not have to pay any price. If I am putting the world through hell, the process is slow enough I will make it out of the world without any personal cost. But what about my kids and my grandkids? My youngest grandkids quite probably will live to the year 2100! That is long enough to see humanity get in trouble! Do I care enough about my grandkids and all the other eight or nine billion people who will be in the world to do anything about it?
That is the real question. If I am absolutely honest, I don’t know how much I will change. Will it take a crisis for me to change? If I think it will take a crisis for others to change, why would I think I am any different or better? I am confident the Pope is correct. I have been irresponsible. It is time for a little responsibility. I am going to try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri