Skip to main content

Grateful Disposition

Every time David Brooks publishes something, I try to read it.  I find him dealing with so many issues that attract my attention.  And he thinks about them in a way that helps me form my own take on things.  Most of what he thinks about is the stuff that would make the world a much better place to live and work, if we would just actualize his perspective.

He wrote a recent Op-Ed entitle, “The Structure of Gratitude.”  It figures, so I thought.  I have actually been doing some things with gratitude in some of the retreats and training sessions I do for groups and for businesses.  What he offered was not novel for me.  But it was reinforcing and refreshing to see how he framed the gratitude perspective and how he articulated its benefits.  Let’s me share some of that with you.

Let’s start at the end, because if the end is not very good, then how he got there does not make much difference.  That betrays the fact that I like where his article finishes.  Brooks says, “people with grateful dispositions see their efforts grandly but not themselves.  Life does not surpass their dreams but it nicely surpasses their expectations.”  Brooks makes a few neat analytical distinctions here. 

In the first place he distinguishes between our efforts and ourselves.  That is simple and profound.  Brooks does not put down the efforts of people.  In fact he claims that grateful people might even be doing “grand” efforts.  And they feel good about their efforts.  There is not hint of false modesty or fake humility.  But the next distinguishing move is to say our efforts are the focus, not ourselves.  This takes care of big egos and it takes care of egomaniacs doing things to gain attention or accolades. 

What a wonderful world it would be if the egomaniacs would change their perspective.  Become grateful rather than prideful.  Take pride in your efforts.  Do good and enjoy the good deed.  Make significant contributions and be grateful for the chance to make such gifts. 

Secondly, Brooks focuses on expectations.  This is a theme that runs throughout his Op-Ed.  That is a great one for me to ponder.  I certainly have expectations.  Most people do; that is normal.  Grateful people understand that life has dreams (or at least, the good life will have dreams).  Dreams are good; they pull us into a bigger, richer future than living life with no dream.  Without dreams we may be condemned to live a nightmarish life.  No fun!

For the grateful person life does not surpass their dreams, but it does surpass their expectations.  Expectations usually shape how we see things.  Expectations often cause a kind of tension in life.  We set up a “if we do this, that will happen.”  Brooks helps us to see more clearly how this dynamic operates.  He opens his article with a story about expectations.  And then concludes that expectations powerfully “structure our moods and emotions.”  I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Then he draws an early conclusion.  “The beautiful emotion of gratitude” structures our moods and emotions more than any expectation.  I like how he develops this argument by offering a quick sense of how gratitude works.  “Gratitude happens when some kindness exceeds expectations, when it is undeserved.”  So true.  He dis not latch on to a key idea at this point that I might have expected. 

There is a clear linguistic link between gratitude and grace.  Grace is nothing more than a gift.  And the only appropriate response to a gift is to be thankful---grateful.  Brooks is correct to suggest that if we get what we expect, there is less reason to be grateful.  To get what we expected does not structure the situation that produces gratitude.  But if I get more than I expected, I tend to be grateful.  “Wow, thanks!”

The next sentence from Brooks nails it for me.  He artfully suggests, “Gratitude is a sort of laughter of the heart that comes about after some surprising kindness.”  I really like the idea that gratitude is the laughter of the heart.  That is better than heartache or a heart attack any day!  Clearly, it is a cause for gratitude.  As he develops his thoughts, Brooks is arguing for formation of a grateful disposition.  I think this can rightly be called a spiritual formation.  If we could do this, it would become a version of building the Kingdom of God.

At one point Brooks employs a quotation from G.K. Chesterton, an early 20th century English writer on religion.  Brooks cites the saying of Chesterton that “thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”  That is delightfully articulated.  Thanks are the highest form of thought.  That is worth remembering and honoring.

And gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.  Who would not want a grateful life that yields happiness doubled by wonder?  That is so good it might be hard to experience.  And that may just why so many of us expect less and get exactly that---less. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri