Skip to main content

Travel and Travails

I had a recent trip out of town.  It was a pleasant trip to a place I very much like to visit.  Since I was traveling for an organization I represent, it was not going to cost me much, except the time I would spend away from campus and from my friends.  I always miss that, but the trade-off is not bad.  I get to meet new people and, maybe, see some old friends.  So off I went.           

I like being in different cities.  Each city has its own characteristics.  Often there is a different offering of restaurants---sometimes with local ethnic fare.  I like experimenting with different options.  It is on trips like this, I realize again how very provincial my growing up on an Indiana farm really was.  I don’t lament that, but I am grateful that I have begun to experience a much bigger world.  I am not sure we can understand and appreciate just how big and diverse God’s world is until we travel a bit.  I have been fortunate.          

One of the things planned for the end of my trip was a scheduled appointment with a person that is a relatively new friend.  I met him fairly recently at a conference on Thomas Merton, my favorite monk of last century.  Anyone who shares an interest in Merton is someone I would enjoy seeing and engaging in some conversation.  Merton is such a fascinating figure, I am always intrigued how any particular person found and is attracted to Merton.  George and I were scheduled to meet at a hotel and have some coffee.  I was glad to see him walk into the lobby and head with me to the restaurant for some coffee.           

George and I have very different backgrounds, which I find, begins to enrich our new friendship.  I am an Indiana farm boy; he is a New York City guy.  I am a life-long Quaker and he is Jewish.  He has an accent, as all New Yorkers do!  And he laughs at my Midwestern way of speaking.  We both have found our way into Merton’s life and spirituality, so there was much to talk about.           

As the conversation began to unfold, I became aware of the twin themes of travel and travail.  I had traveled some hours to be in the city and to arrange the meeting with George.  He had traveled two hours to make our visit possible.  We both wanted this to happen and we made it happen.  But throughout our conversation, I began to be aware of another dimension of travel.  Sometimes travel is not willingly taken up.             

Sometimes travel is forced.  I mentioned that George is Jewish.  During our conversation, he mentioned some of the work he is doing around the Holocaust.  When we talked about the Holocaust, we underscored how often the Jews were rounded up---against their will---and put on trains for the forced trip to a concentration camp.  I can’t imagine what it would be like to be forced on to a train and head for what I would know would be my sure death.  Talk about travail---an unfortunate situation or lousy experience.  Travail can be a painful circumstance, which surely the Holocaust would be.           

I am not sure those of us who are not Jews can fully appreciate what being Jewish means with the Holocaust a part of our Jewish story.  This would be the same for those of us who are not African-American with the slavery thing as part of our Black History.  I can claim to know “about it,” but in no way can I claim to know “it.”  The same goes for all the individual travails of our particular lives.  I have my own travails and so does everyone else who has lived some amount of time.           

Travail is part of the human experience.  Live long enough and you, too, will experience some travail. But it occurred to me.  There is the inevitable travail of being human---some hardships along the way, perhaps some cancer and inevitably death for us all.  And there is the inflicted travail that humans do to other humans.  Here we have the Holocaust, slavery, wars, murders, etc.             

This is where the conversation between George and me focused.  Essential to the spiritual life is the call to justice and peacemaking.  Merton knew and did this.  So did Martin Luther King, Jr. and a whole host of others.  Any one of us spiritual people also needs to sign on to this kind of work.           

We are called to alleviate people from their travails.  If we cannot alleviate their travails, then we need to join them in the midst of travail.  There may not be a Holocaust on the same scale as WW II, but terrorism is a modern version of travail.  We know well about the terrorism appearing on the news.  What is less visible is the terrorism people are perpetuating on in quieter ways.  I see parents yelling at their young child.  I see the rich getting richer and the poor being consigned to a quiet form of travail.           

George and I solved no world problem.  But we did vow to keep working in our own little corner to alleviate the travail we see.  In some cases Merton’s word or example might be helpful.  Sometimes it might be my word or example.  It could be yours, too.  I was grateful for my trip, for George and our new resolve to do an old thing: build the kingdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri