Skip to main content

Jesus, the Rabbi

Maybe it is because I am a college professor---a teacher---that I have always been drawn to the title of rabbi for Jesus.  I call it a title because “rabbi” is not part of his name.  That is also true of the title, “Christ.”  When I was a kid, I assumed “Christ” was his last name!  To the contrary, rabbi and Christ are titles that describe something about the function of Jesus. To call Jesus “the Christ” is to describe him as “the anointed one.”  And to describe Jesus as “rabbi” is to say he is a teacher.  That aspect of Jesus I can relate to and appreciate.
           
After so many years teaching, I feel like I know a thing or two about the process.  And I am confident enough about what I have learned teaching that I suspect some of the same things apply to Jesus, the rabbi.  Let’s explore a couple of these learnings.
           
One of the key learnings I picked up was crucial and humbling.  Simply put, just because I say something does not mean the other person (student) learned it.  If I say something, the only fact is that I said something.  I should not assume any other facts.  Perhaps I could assume the other person heard what I said.  That is usually true.  But I don’t always assume that.  I have had the experience of teaching (saying something), and the other person was not even hearing.  Their eyes might be open, but the minds could well be miles away.  You cannot look at a person and know whether they are daydreaming!
           
Furthermore, just because I say something and the other person hears it, does not mean that person has learned it.  For example, I could go to a lecture on astrophysics and hear it.  But that does not automatically mean that I learned astrophysics.  Rather what I probably would learn is that hearing it only convinced me that I did not understand astrophysics.  I could hear it, but only learn that I knew nothing.  I suppose that is progress…but not much!
           
Let’s go back now to Jesus.  I am sure he said things that other people (disciples) did not even hear.  Oh, they may have heard sounds coming out of his mouth.  They may even have heard his noise.  But they did not even hear.  I suspect Jesus was a much wiser teacher than I ever have been, so he must have known this.
           
I am also confident that Jesus also knew that the disciples might even have heard him clearly.  But that does not mean they learned.  Hearing and learning are two different enterprises.  Jesus really wanted the disciples to learn.  In fact, that is exactly what the word, “disciple,” means: a student or a learner.  Authentic disciples are those who hear and learn what the rabbi teaches.  That gives me a profound sense of who Jesus was and what he was doing.
           
Jesus was a rabbinical person traversing the Palestinian countryside teaching and calling for people to hear and to learn.  When they did learn, he said, “follow me,” and he made disciples.  Literally, becoming a disciple is “going to school” with the rabbi!  But this kind of teaching was only the beginning.
           
There is one more step in the teaching process.  The real teacher not only wants a student (disciple) to learn.  The real teacher wants the disciple to incorporate or incarnate that learning.  The disciple can take that learning to heart---take it literally into himself or herself.  The kind of teaching Jesus was doing did get to the heart of things.  It had to do with central truths of life: love, justice, compassion, forgiveness, hope and so on.
           
Just as seeing is not always believing, so learning does not always lead to doing.  Real learning leads to doing.  For example, I might learn what justice means.  I could probably pass a test, write an essay and, perhaps, get an “A.”  But until I actually begin to practice being just, I have only head-learning.  The goal of learning about justice is to begin acting justly.  So it is with the teachings of Jesus and his desire for the disciples.
           
The teaching that Jesus, the rabbi, gave to his disciples was meant to be heard, to be learned, and to be put into action.  These teachings often came in very simple phrases.  For example, Jesus, the rabbi, told the disciples to love the neighbor as the self.  In other words, I have to love my neighbor as I love myself.  I can imagine the disciples saying, “that’s an interesting idea!” 
           
Then Jesus would reply, “No, I really mean it.  I do want you to love the neighbor as you love yourself.”  Jesus was a great teacher, though.  I am sure he modeled the kind of behavior he taught.  His whole life was a proclamation that said, “Do as I do.”
           
If I want to be a disciple that is what I have to do: do as he did.  I have to be as loving, as forgiving, as caring and as serving.  It’s a tall order, but it is about the Kingdom, after all.  Finally, I think Jesus, the rabbi, would say the Kingdom is not just an idea to learn.  It is a reality to bring about.  It starts with you and it starts with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri