Skip to main content

Everything I Need

I don’t know why I am always surprised to find rich possibilities for spiritual musing within the worldly, secular realm.  It happens frequently and I am always surprised!  I should not be surprised because I think almost all of us Americans live most of life in the midst of secularity.  Maybe the monks and the recluses don’t, but most of us do.  I know I do…and I am a professor of religion!           

Living life in the midst of secularity is not bad.  But it is not spiritual either.  I don’t think the Spirit is missing from the secular world.  But in the secular world, most of us are not in touch with the Spirit and, probably, most of us may not even be looking to get in touch with the Spirit.             

This is what hit me as I was doing the most secular task of all.  I was reading the business section recently in my daily newspaper.  Of course one does not expect to run smack into the Holy Spirit in the business section!  That happens on Saturday when the paper runs a special page devoted to faith stuff.            

But as always and everywhere in the secular world, the Spirit lurks.  It is always ready to lure us into that special place of encounter.  That is what happened to me when I was innocently reading a story about Walmart and Target.  Some of the article was interesting and some of it seemed funny to me.  Like most Americans, I have been to both stores.  I don’t have a preference for either one.  Throw in Kmart, Kohl’s or any of the rest and I don’t experience any excitement.           

The article told me that 80% of the stuff in both Walmart and Target is identical stuff.  And it is virtually the same price.  I laughed when a report from a recent Bloomberg Businessweek emerged that said the two retailers were 46 cents apart on $100 spent in each store on the same articles!  (Go to Target if you want to save the 46 cents!)  I laughed and read on in the article.          

Then I hit the sentence where the Spirit lured me.  Some woman, Natalie Gutierrez, is portrayed as the “average customer.”  She was interviewed in some store in the Washington, DC area.  “I already have everything I need,” Gutierrez said.  “But I always like to come in and see if there’s something I may want.”  That is so American!           

I give Natalie credit for knowing the difference between needs and wants.  I suspect most of us confuse those things.  Probably most of us do, indeed, have everything we need.  But we think we need some more things we just want.  I am sure I am guilty of this at times.  And this is where it becomes a spiritual issue for me.           

Central to my spiritual belief is the conviction that I am a child of God, that God loves me and that my relationship with God is unique and special.  And I think that is true for you, too, even if you and the other seven billion people in the world don’t know it.  And obviously this fact about you and me is not a commodity to be bought at Walmart or Target.  In this sense I already have enough.           

Of course, I need food and shelter to live.  And we all need a certain amount of care, love, support, etc. to make it through life.  That is a legitimate need.  Like Gutierrez, I already have enough.  But I also know the culture in which I live tempts me always to stop by to see if there is something I may want.  Putting it this way fascinates me.             

Gutierrez is saying that she does not even know if she really does want something else.  She is drawn to shop in case she might see something “I may want.”  This suggests that she is a sitting duck for someone (Walmart or Target) telling her what she might want!  This may seem harmless.  Or it might imply an unhealthy dependency.  My relationship with the Spirit causes me to be cautious of this vulnerability.           

I am cautious because another aspect of my spirituality tells me that anything other than the Spirit is not ultimately satisfying.  This is not only true of material stuff.  Most of us know that material stuff is not ultimately satisfying.  It is also true of immaterial stuff, like relationships and commitments.  I think this is what the biblical and historical witness means by differentiating icons and idols.  Icons connect us with the Spirit and idols separate us and set us up ultimately for failure and dissatisfaction.           

So what?  This does not mean I will quit going to Walmart or Target.  They are not the problem.  The problem is always myself.  The spiritual journey is a journey of self-discovery and Spirit-discovery.  I will find neither in Walmart or Target.  I know I have everything I need.  God has blessed me with a mind, heart and soul.  They are gifts, just like my life is a gift.           

This gift of life is all I need.  But it is appropriate to have wants.  I want to grow more and more into my awareness of this gift and to deepen more and more into my appreciation of this gift.  Finally, I want to find ways to give this gift to others.  Because this gift really is love, I cannot possibly give it all away.  That is very different from Walmart and Target.  But they are not giving away love.  I am.  God is.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri