Skip to main content

Being In It Together


No doubt we have all heard the phrase, “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.”  Probably, many of us have used it…or, at least, thought it.  Seldom does the phrase come to mind in good times.  It comes when we feel like we are losing.  Or we watch someone else prosper in ways we think we could or should.  Uttering that phrase often comes in a fit of anger or a wistful lament. 

As a form of speech, I believe it is a proverb.  That form of speech is a popular adage or bit of wisdom.  Proverbs express what most folks would consider true or to be good advice.  But in this case, our proverb, “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence,” carries the implication that life is the opposite of what we are saying.  The proverb implies, in fact, the grass is not greener on the other side.  We just think it is.

So if the grass is not really greener on the other side, what are our options?  First, the only real option is to deal with life---with our situation---in the context in which we find ourselves.  Second, there almost always are two options in the context in which we find ourselves.  One option is to find a way to change the situation.  If this is not possible, it almost always is an option to change the way we look at the situation or deal with it.

I am reminded of a story which comes from the early monks in the Egyptian and Syrian deserts.  This story tells of a brother who “was restless in his community and he was often irritated.”  So the monk decides, “I will go and live somewhere by myself…and so I shall be at peace, and my passionate anger will cease.”  The story continues with the monk leaving and living by himself in a cave.  One day he fills a jug with water and puts it on the floor of the cave.  Alas, the jug fell over and the floor is now all wet.  This happens a second and a third time.  The monk becomes livid, picks up the jug, and smashed it to pieces.

I like this turning point in the story.  We read, “Coming to his senses, he knew that the demon of anger had mocked him…”  Actually, there are two key pieces in these words.  The first key is that the monk came to his senses.  I would not go so far as to call this “conversion.”  But it certainly is an “Ah-ha” moment.  And these moments clearly are linked to conversion experiences. 

In a non-spiritual context we might say “he came to the realization…”  However, I do not think this gets at the heart of it.  To say, “I came to the realization,” sounds quite heady.  It is almost like I figured it out.  “To come to my senses” might mean that I figured it out.  Or it might be a little more like revelation in that “it dawned on me.”

The other key point is his awareness that the demon of anger had nabbed him.  Of course, today most of us would scoff at the idea that there is a demon of anger.  No good psychologist is going to diagnose me having such a demon!  I have no problem reading “demon” in a metaphorical way.  My “demon” may be the negative side of me that tempts me to be a jerk or do stupid things.  That demon does not have a red tail, because that demon looks a lot like me.

How we deal with demons is not the crucial insight of the story.  What is crucial is the insight that the monk had when he realized it was not the community that was the problem.  It was he…himself!  He acknowledges as much when he says, “Here am I by myself, and he has beaten me.  I will return to the community.”

And then the concluding teaching, if you will.  “Wherever you live, you need effort and patience and above all God’s help.”  The monk came to his senses that the grass was not greener on the other side of the fence.  Or, we might allow the grass might be greener over there.  But, it is still I who will be over there!  And I will take all my demons right over there with me.

What I better do is stay put.  And realize I need to give effort.  Patience usually helps.  And thank God for whatever divine help comes my way.  If I am in community it might well be my brothers and sisters who become the angels to help me with my demons. 

Comments

  1. Nice information. I was searching for the same. It helped me alot and saved my time. Thanks alot. upma recipe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri