Skip to main content

Good or Scared


I go to a few different places on Sundays when I worship.  And some Sundays I don’t go anywhere.  It was certainly true, when I was growing up, that the implication was one would probably go to hell if you did not go to church somewhere.  I don’t know that anyone ever told me that would be the case, but it seemed implied.  And I do not ever recall anyone tell me it was not true.

So I grew up assuming church attendance, while not compulsory, was very important.  Those were the “Leave it to Beaver” days!  How times have changed.  No one in my circles would consider playing golf on Sunday, even though I knew many people were out there on the golf course as I was dutifully riding to Quaker meeting with my parents.  How times have changed!

I am sure there are still Christians (and maybe Jews and others) who still feel attendance at the weekly or routine gatherings are a “must.”  However most people with whom I associate do not see it as a necessity.  Of course, my own theology has changed---I don’t know that it is fair to say it has grown, although that’s is how I see it.  With my view of God now, I cannot see how God would send me to hell for missing Sunday morning.  But I still go with some frequency.

I go not to avoid hell, but to find community and spiritual nurture.  I certainly would like to avoid hell!  Who wouldn’t?  I do not know anything about the potential heaven and hell after death.  What I do think humans can have if they want is hell right now, here on earth.  So when I say I would like to avoid hell, I would like to avoid the hell right now, here on earth.  Maybe going to church can help me in that process.

This past Sunday I was helped.  I went to a place which has a fairly rich sense of community.  The people enjoy being there and they seem glad to welcome me.  Since it is not a Quaker place, there is virtually no chance they will want me to do anything---certainly not be a leader there.  I can sit back and participate fully.

I had to smile when I heard the scripture reading.  I knew the passage well.  It was from Mark’s gospel.  One of the disciples approaches Jesus and told him someone was driving out demons in Jesus’ name.  The disciple told Jesus that he had tried to stop it, but to no avail.  Then comes the classic phrase from Jesus that “whoever is not against us is for us.” (9:40)  Following that is the admonition from Jesus that no one should cause the little one to sin, that one should hang a huge rock around the neck and go jump in the ocean.  And if the hand causes you to sin, cut it off.  And so on with the foot and the eye.  This, says Jesus, is what you should do to avoid being thrown into hell. 

I have always known that my hands, feet and eyes have caused me to sin.  Surely, the New Testament is not meant to be read literally.  If so I should be missing hands, feet, and be blind.  As I sat back pondering this, the speaker began to go in a creative direction.  He agreed; no one takes the entire Bible literally.  We all pick and choose---or we don’t even choose to take the Bible at all.
I liked the way the speaker framed the Gospel reading, as well as our take on life.  I know I have sinned.  I also know that I have both eyes, both hands and both feet.  If I read this passage literally, then I should be scared.  I should be scared that I am going to hell.  Of course, there is every good reason I should go to hell.  Doubtlessly I have done my share of creating and nurturing hell here on earth. 

Every time I sin, I nurture hell in some way.  And there clearly are times when I know I am living in the hell others have created.  These hells are not some post-mortem experience.  I like the advice of Jesus not to be scared, but to be good.  It is not a call to be good, however, to avoid some future hell.  It is a call to be good to eradicate the hell I and others have created right now, right here.

When Jesus prayed for “thy Kingdom come,” I think this is what he meant.  We need to work for the good, first by being good.  And then we work for the good by nurturing the good in others.  Working for the good in my life means basic things like love, justice, compassion and forgiveness. 

The message is not to waste time in fear.  Being scared accomplishes nothing.  I feel called to be a co-laborer of the Kingdom---the Kingdom to come in this world right now, right here.  I do it not through fear of hell, but engaging the hell I and others have created in order to transform that hell.  I do it by being good and by working for the good.

This is why I know I need community.  On my own, I am tempted by fear---scared as hell, as they say.  With the community of others working for the good, I am encouraged and take courage to cast out demons.  The world needs it.  It is a good thing to do.  And I am not scared to take on the demons that cause hell on earth.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri