Skip to main content

The Importance of Vision


It is pretty common to find some kind of vision statement in a business or even non-profit.  It is even typical for these organizations to revisit occasionally the vision statement to see if it still matches what the organization sees as a reason for its being.  I think this is quite healthy.  This should be the case for spiritual communities, too.

It is not unusual for people to know the phrase, “where there is no vision, the people perish.”  What many folks probably do not know is that phrase comes from the Old Testament.  It can be found in Proverbs 29:18.  If we were going to do the passage justice, we would have to look at it in its context.  That should help us know what it likely meant at the time it was written.  But for our purpose here, the focus is on vision.  And the argument I would make is the people will, indeed, perish without vision.  I think this is the typical organizational perspective, too.

The first question might be the basic question, namely, what is a vision?  I am sure there are complicated definitions.  But I like the simple one I read years ago.  A vision is a picture of the future.  It does not matter whether it is a church or a corporate business; the vision is the church or business’s picture of its future.  Clearly in a group---be it church, business or non-profit---most of the members need to buy in for the vision to be effective.  Obviously, it would be easy to have a vision, put it on a plaque, hang it on the wall and ignore it.  I suspect that happens with frequency!

It is also pretty likely that many organizations have a vision, but most folks in the group would have no real clue what the vision might be.  We would rightly ask them, so without the group’s vision, what is your “functional vision?”  That asks them, so what drives your stepping into the future?  In many cases there is no vision.  People and the group simply are creating their futures by doing the same thing they have been doing for a time---in some cases, a very long time.  In this sense vision is nothing more than destiny---the past dictating the future.

It is easy to see the need---maybe necessity---of visions for groups.  But I would also argue it is important for people---individuals---to have a personal vision.  The same definition holds for personal vision.  What is your personal picture of the future?  Probably most of us have given some thought to that.  It might be more focused in our earlier years. 

People ask vision questions of younger folks when they are asked, “what do you want to do when you grow up?”  In college students choose majors, partly in the expectation those majors will lead to jobs and careers they envision for themselves.  Notice the verb I just used: envision!  Often vision amounts to little more than the job or career they want to have.  That may be part of a vision, but I hope there is more to your vision.

As we grow older, we may have to revisit earlier visions.  If we get sick or old, then career cannot be an appropriate vision for us.  As we get older, earlier visions may no longer fit who we want to become.  I would argue not all visions have to focus on what we want to do.  It is appropriate to have a personal vision that focuses on what I want to become.

If you want to think about personal vision, I suggest a nice way to ponder it is to think about how you want to bring meaning and purpose into your life.  Vision is related to meaning.  A vision is a picture of the future that I want for myself.  Clearly there seems to be better and lesser visions.  I might have the vision to get rich---nothing inherently wrong with that.  But it probably is not ultimately satisfying or fulfilling.  I suggest visions that have to do with love or service make better choices---ultimately speaking.

To come up with a vision is an appropriate way to ask the age-old question: for what am I living?  Practically speaking, we can ask ourselves: so why do I get out of bed each day and go forward?  If you have not thought about that or if you don’t know your own personal answer, then you probably are on automatic pilot.  Again, there is nothing inherently wrong with being on automatic pilot.  But it probably will not ultimately be satisfying or fulfilling.

It is not unusual for people not to be too sure what their vision is.  Much of our culture does not want us coming up with deep visions.  Culture would rather make us in its own image---telling us what to buy, how to think, how to spend time, etc.  Having a vision puts us in control of our own lives.  In many cases we may not want what culture is selling us.  A vision will determine how we spend our time. 

I am sure we can have many visions that serve short-term purposes.  But I hope each of us can come up with our personal vision that gives us the best chance of living life, such that we will be satisfied and fulfilled.  That ultimately will be the best we can do.  I can envision the picture of my future.  Do you have a picture, too? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri