Skip to main content

St Bartholomew and You


I like to follow the monastic (Catholic) lectionary.  As a Quaker kid growing up in Indiana, I would have had no clue what the word, lectionary, meant.  And if you had told me that it meant, “daily reading,” that would not have helped too much.  I would not know that many in the liturgical church tradition follow a daily reading of Christian scripture and other supplementary readings.  All of this was designed to be a devotional aid in relating to God on a regular basis.
           
And now in my adult years, I find the lectionary a helpful tool.  For those of us who want this kind of discipline, it is very nice for someone to have organized a daily regimen of reading.  This provides a good basis for reflection and meditation and other disciplines.  I personally like the fact that I am focusing on the same texts that my monk friends are doing.
           
Along with the lectionary I follow, I also get the rhythm of saint days that come with the Catholic year.  Since Quakers did not really deal in the saints, this was a place of ignorance for me.  Since I have never been Catholic, it might well be true I don’t really know what we are supposed to do with saints.  For me they are the spiritual giants of the ages.  They are spiritual models and encouragers.  They help me see what is possible.
           
Now I am not looking to model those who were killed for the faith.  I am hoping to die of old age!  But I would like to model their spiritual witness.  I am convinced if a couple saints were around today for me to converse with, they would tell me not to try to imitate the older, dead saints.   I am sure they would advise me to become a saint in my own way in my own context.
           
That is why I liked finding out the saint for the day is St. Bartholomew.  If you ask most Christians who Bartholomew was, they would have no clue.  If the Christian knew the Bible very well, he or she might know Bartholomew was mentioned---albeit briefly---in the New Testament.  For all intents and purposes, Bartholomew was a minor player---a bit player, really.  So how did he get to be a saint?
           
Tradition has it Bartholomew was born in Cana.  Cana is a town in northern modern Israel.  I have been there.  Cana is best known as the place Jesus turned all that water into wine, while he was attending a wedding.  But we have no clue whether Bartholomew was there that day.  (Not likely, I think.) 

Bartholomew was one of the twelve disciples.  Tradition also says that the Apostle Philip brought Bartholomew to meet Jesus, a story recounted early in John’s gospel.  Bartholomew is also known as Nathaniel.  And that’s about all we know.  A fourth century church historian, Eusebius, says Bartholomew was in India.  I find that unlikely…but who knows.  Rumor had it that he was martyred in Armenia, but again, who knows?  All we know is we don’t know much.

And that is what fascinates me.  Here is one of the original twelve---one of the key players.  For some reason he encountered Jesus and that changed his life.  It is likely that act of following Jesus got him in trouble.  It certainly put him on the opposite side of the tracks.  And somehow he became a saint---St. Bartholomew.  I find that inspiring.

It inspires me because for all intents and purposes, I am an average guy.  I am not rich and, certainly, not famous.  When I die, the world will not miss a beat.  A few will remember for a short period of time and, then, I will be history.  There should have been no other expectation for Bartholomew than this.  And yet he became a saint.  There actually is a St. Bartholomew Catholic Church just down the road from here.  So how did he become a saint?

I will speculate he became a saint by being true to his conviction and calling.  Jesus had called him into a relationship.  All believers should be more than believers.  They should also be doers.  I am sure Bartholomew was a doer.  You don’t become a saint by believing.  And surely, we don’t become saints by becoming famous.  Hitler is famous, but he was an utter jerk and devil!

To become a saint is to become our true self.  Our true self is the self God made us to be and wants us to become.  We become saints by serving that God and all God’s creatures.  Right now the creatures of God whom I serve are mostly students.  And there are fellow faculty and my friends, the staff.  My pilgrimage to sainthood passes right through the classroom and committee venue.  Where does yours pass?

The good news Bartholomew brings us is the reassurance that we, too, can become saints.  We can become the daughters and sons God wants us to be.  We can be average, normal and make it.  I like that.  And I like the fact that we can do it together…day by day in our own way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri