Skip to main content

Monica Two, Too


Sometimes I am surprised with what resonates with folks who read these inspirational messages.  Each evening I sit down with my laptop and on good days an idea comes to me.  Other days are more difficult and I have to go after an idea.  Sometimes I think some ideas are inspired.  Other times, I am sure than I concocted an idea and only can hope somehow God can bless it and use it.  But getting an idea is not sufficient.
           
I have to shape the idea and give it form in writing.  Often that is fairly easy.  Other times it is like a trip to the dentist…a great deal of pulling!  My ideas that are shaped and written become little gifts thrown out there to the world.  But they are unconditional gifts.  I have no control or demands on the gifts.  If they are meaningful or help someone, I am humbled and grateful.  Occasionally, I learn that some particular message has been meaningful and that makes me happy.
           
One such message was yesterday’s piece on Monica.  As I said, Monica---Saint Monica---was Augustine’s mother.  Augustine was, and is one of the most famous Christian theologians in the two thousand years history of that tradition.  His mother is only known and famous because of her son.  And yet, she also has been canonized---declared a saint.  I told her brief story yesterday.  It resonated.  I am pleased and have thought a little more about Monica.  This is Monica, Part Two.  Or if you prefer, it is about Monica, too.
           
Probably what attracted folks to Monica and her story was the fact that it really was not about her.  Monica is the kind of quiet, religious person who somehow seems to have her own life in order.  Of course, we don’t know enough about her to quibble that it is not true.  It is true we don’t know her shortcomings, her doubts, and weaknesses.  I assume she has all that since she was human.  But apparently by the time she gave birth to Augustine and, then, a couple more kids, she had figured out life sufficiently to know who she was and what life meant.  And God was right at the center of her picture.
           
And that God was big enough to encompass more than simple Monica.  Her God happened to be the creator of the universe.  I am sure she was not theologically sophisticated enough to tell us in detail how God created the universe.  A corollary of this belief was the belief that the creative God was also a providential God.  This means God cares for each and every one of the creatures---you, me and all the rest.  To be providential means God provides.
           
Of course, she loved her son.  And she was willing to be patient and let that providential God work.  I am confident she is attractive to so many of us simply because she shows us how to care when there does not seem to be much else to do in the moment.  She is a patient saint.  She is a hopeful saint.  She perseveres because she is saintly. 
           
She speaks to all of us who have been in situations where there does not seem to be much to do.  There may be someone about whom we care, but we seemingly can make no immediate difference.  It is tempting to give up.  A persevering saint finds an alternative to giving up.

Monica is a symbol of hope when hopelessness or despair seems more appropriate to a situation.  She is a symbol of hope not because she is idealistic or naïve, but because she believes.  I suspect there were times she believed in God more firmly than she believed in her son, Augustine. 
           
Monica offers a different model than the American penchant for the quick fix.  Of course, who would not want a quick fix when the situation is bad or the going gets tough.  Prayer seems like such a flimsy option to controlling or commanding someone to shape up.  But when that simply won’t work, then our only option may be despair or dependency on God.  Monica shows me how.
           
To put it bluntly, Monica gives me hope, too.  The first story about Monica---mother and saint---is a nice story and inspiring.  But my story is not Monica’s story.  I don’t even have a son!  But if we are involved in the world at all, then we also get our own version of Monica’s story.  There will be people and situations we simply can deal with in the normal, routine way.  All we can do is give them over to God’s providential care.  I know this feels like a lousy alternative.  Monica may have thought that, too.
           
But when you cannot do anything directly, you have only two alternatives: give up or give over.  Monica’s second story---Monica Two---gives me assurance that I can learn to care and minister in this indirect way.  Thank God I am not God!  Monica knew she was not God, too.  
           
The nice thing about Monica Two is the lack of definition and prescription.  When we wait, pray, persevere and hope, there is no “how to.”  And in some situations I am ok with that.  She models how to come to rest in the providential hands of God.  Sometimes that’s all you can do.  Monica knew that, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri