Skip to main content

The Primacy of Care

I was recently at a gathering of sports figures, business folks and normal people like me.  It was an interesting gathering in two ways.  The first way the gathering interested me was because of the topic, namely, how to work effectively with young people.  Of course, that is a perennial concern.  So I was all ears to gain some tidbits that might help me do a better job in my own teaching.  The second way the gathering was interesting to me was simply the unlikely collection of different kinds of people.  It reinforced my conviction that some of the best learning I experience comes when I hang out with people different than I am.
           
The best line of the event came in an almost off-handed comment by a football coach.  While he would not have been tabbed as the philosopher of the group, he had some deep insights because of his own involvement and work with young people.  I listened to him, less as a football coach, and more as an experienced teacher.  At one point he was describing one of his key convictions.  He said something to the effect that “players don’t care what you know until they know that you care.”
           
When he said this, I was reminded that I have heard the quotation before, but I had no idea who might have originally said it.  It is not a sports’ saying.  I know it can be found on the lips of patients when they comment on their doctors.  It is easy to imagine multiple contexts in which the saying has a truth.  But the key piece is the saying itself.  Let me unpack it from a spiritual and community perspective.
           
The first thing that jumps out to me is the two central themes: knowledge and care. Both are important themes in the spiritual journey.  It is impossible to make a spiritual journey without the assistance of some knowledge.  It is clear to me that there are a variety of sources of knowledge.  We have knowledge from others.  This can come through books, retreats, media, etc.  And there is knowledge from our own selves and our experience.  Knowledge can come from nature.  And for some of us, knowledge comes from God---via revelation.
           
Generally speaking, knowledge is good.  As a rule, to know is better than to be ignorant.  At my age I have a fair amount of knowledge.  Some of it I would like to teach to younger people.  I am confident it can be good for them, help them live a richer life and so on.  As the saying goes, however, usually they don’t care what I know.  That is, they don’t care until…
           
Until they know that I care.  And care is the second theme of the saying.  I could contend that care is primary.  It is more important than knowledge.  Both are significant, but if you only can have one, choose care.  In a way, care contains a form of knowledge.  If someone cares about me, then I know that I matter.  I know they have the capacity to put themselves aside and put me front and center.  When someone cares about me, then it is about me and not about them.  That is a lovely, humbling place to be.
           
In the spiritual journey, I am convinced that care is primary.  In Christian, Jewish and Muslim traditions we might even say the spiritual journey is a journey into care---or, maybe, a journey rooted in care.  This seems deeply true to me because I know that care is a form of love.  That is why care is primary---care is love lived out.
           
At its best, care is non-discriminatory.  Care does not discriminate between those who can afford something and those who have no resources.  Care is not prejudicial.  As a form of love, care does not pre-judge who deserves care.  Care is universal.  Care is for anyone in my house.  Care is for anyone in my community.  And care is for anyone in my universe.
           
I automatically wince when I hear the phrase, “I couldn’t care less.”  I understand it is often used in jest.  I wince when I think historically how true this phrase often was when it came to particular groups of people.  Sadly, it is not just a historical problem.  I think it can still be found in our world today. 
           
Care is primary.  None of us would have made it as human beings if it were not for the care we received.  How many newborns could live more than a few hours or days without care?  And it does not stop there.  I suspect many of us live in the illusion that we don’t need (and maybe think we don’t want) any care now.  We see ourselves as autonomous and independent. 
           
Care is primary.  I like to think about care a soul food.  Care nourishes our soul and protects us from sickness and disease.  Care is primary because it is a profound expression of belonging and a visible form of community.  Care is an affirmation of my dignity and worth.  If someone cares for me, I matter enough to count.  I am worth the care given to me.           

Care is a gift and a calling.  It is a gift when it comes my way.  And it is a calling on my heart to give care to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri