Skip to main content

Remain in the Provisional

It is touching to be given gifts.  There are a couple kinds of gifts.  The first kind of gift is the gift one expects.  When I say this, I think of special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas.  Giving gifts is part of the norm on these occasions.  While it is not right to say that we expect gifts, it is normal to assume we are going to get gifts.  Of course, we probably don’t know what the gift will be, but we know most likely we will be getting gifts.  So it is not a surprise to be handed a gift.
           
The other kind of gift is the serendipitous gift.  That is the gift we are given when we did not expect it.  In fact, with these serendipitous gifts, we usually do not even see it coming.  We may well be caught off guard. We don’t know what to say.  We did not even think about getting a gift.  Often it feels quite humbling to be given a gift.
           
I received such a gift a few months ago.  I had been invited to speak to a gathering that was interested in Thomas Merton, the 20th century monk, whom I like and have studied quite a bit.  The gathering was at the motherhouse of a religious order of women.  I know the nun who invited me.  I know she shares a deep interest in Merton, too.  I like her and was happy to do the evening.
           
When it was over, she handed me a couple books by Merton.  She asked if I had these two volumes and I was glad to say that I did not.  So I put them on my desk and vowed to read them when I had time.  Recently I began reading one of the volumes.  The volume I picked up is entitled, The Rule of St. Benedict.  I know about the Rule.  It is the 6th century document penned by St. Benedict to guide the formation and life of his community of monks.  That Rule is still used in monasteries around the world today.
           
I know that Merton taught the novices in his monastery.  The novices are the young monks who are early in their monastic formation.  It is that probationary period in which the monks are deciding whether they are going to stay in the monastery and take their final vows.  This volume is basically Merton’s notes and commentary on the Rule of St. Benedict.  In effect, it is like having his lecture notes.  As I began to read, it was fascinating.
           
At one point Merton is talking about doing what God wants from us---God’s will.  Of course, that is exactly what a monk would want to do, namely, God’s will.  But that is not just a monastic concern.  I, too, would want to do the same thing.  If God’s will is known and clear, then it is no problem.  We either do it (obedience) or we don’t do it (disobedience).  But what if we don’t know what God wants from us---or if we are unsure?  What then?
           
Merton provides me with real insight.  He suggests if we do not know what God wants in a particular situation, then “humility entails a willingness to remain in ‘the provisional,’ without attempting to manipulate uncertainties to become certainties.”  That hit me like a bomb.  So many times I have been uncertain what God might want from me in a given situation.  I learned a long time ago that you cannot obey what you don’t know.  Not-knowing is not bad; it simply is not clear.  So what?
           
Merton is so helpful with the “so what.”  Merton says to remain in the provisional.  I like that term, provisional.  If you look at a dictionary to get a handle on the word, provisional, you would discover that it means something exists in the present moment, but is likely to change.  So if we are in the provisional moment in which we do not know what God desires for us, then we should remain in the provisional.  It will likely change.
           
The provisional is not bad.  It is momentary.  I can see in the word, provisional, the idea of “provide.”  Maybe the provisional time and place is precisely the time and place God wants us in order to provide us with a more clear sense of what God wants.  It seems to me that we need to be patient in this provisional place.  I can hear Merton say, “don’t get antsy.”  Be patient.  Be open.  Be ready, but don’t be in a rush.
           
I appreciate the wisdom on this counsel.  If we really want to do what God desires, then we wait until we know what it is that God desires.  Waiting does not mean doing nothing.  Waiting is really a time of preparation, of anticipation, and of getting ready.  Waiting is not passivity.  It is a provisional time.  We are to use this time well.
           
As I think about it, provisional time makes a lot of sense.  If I am honest, much of what I do in life is my agenda.  To say that I was to do what God desires of me is to say that I want to do God’s agenda.  To make the switch from my agenda to God’s agenda probably does require some transitional time.  This is how I understand provisional.  To remain in the provisional is the first step in living outside of my own agenda.  It is preparation to move into doing God’s agenda. 
           
I am thankful for this fresh look at an old issue: discernment and obedience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri