Skip to main content

Work a Miracle

I was listening fairly closely as the priest was working his way through the liturgy.  It may seem odd that a Quaker participates so gladly in a much more liturgical worship than a silent form of worship which would be my normal fare.  Sometimes I joke and say I am spiritually ambidextrous!  That is not a bad comparison.  To be able to shoot a basketball with either hand was an asset when I played ball.  And to be able to participate and appreciate a highly structured worship approach or one rooted unstructured in silence feels enriching to me. 

The good news for me is I feel comfortable in either setting.  I have participated in liturgical worship situations fairly frequently, so I know what’s going on.  I can play my role as a participant in the group.  I like the fact that I will not be chosen to be up front and leading.  I like the music, the prayers and the sacrament.  But I also like those places in the liturgy where I won’t be able to guess what the priest might say or do.

There are the predictable unstructured places, even in the liturgy.  The homily or sermon is one such place.  There are other places where good priests have some liberty in what they will say or do.  I especially like to be attentive at those places.

It was just in one of these open spaces that I heard the phrase that I knew was going to stick in my brain and become the focus of some reflection.  I have no idea what the context of the phrase was.  It was near the end of the worship experience.  The priest said that “in some way to work a miracle.”  It was an innocent little phrase.  It was not intoned any differently that the sentence before or after it.  In fact, I wonder how many people actually “heard” it in the sense that they could have shared it with another person?  I am not even sure why it registered so clearly in my brain.  But it was my take-away of the day!

I am sure that what grabbed my attention was that part of the phrase which says we should “work a miracle.”  I wanted to say, “Yes,” to yell “Amen.”  I am for working a miracle, but then I realized I am not sure what that means.  This is where I need to reflect on the matter.

Doubtlessly, the issue is the meaning of the word, miracle.  Work a miracle?  Sure, but what does a miracle look like?  At one level, I don’t like the word, miracle.  It is used too loosely in our culture.  There are miracles on baseballs fields and sundry other places.  Sometimes it can mean as little as something special.  I am not against special things, but I don’t categorize them as miracles.

At the other extreme is the assumption that a miracle is any kind of divine intervention.  Again I have no problem thinking that God might intervene in some ways---although it is difficult to be specific.  And it clearly raises some troubling questions why God would not intervene in other cases, i.e. seriously sick people? 

I turned to the classical language and, as usual, found them helpful.  I know the Latin and Greek words for “miracle” can also be translated “wonder” or “marvel.”  This is helpful, but it is not conclusive.  But I am not really sure you can be conclusive when it comes to miracles.  That either disappoints us, or it might make us relieved.  I am one of those that are relieved that we can’t be conclusive about miracles. 

That means I might see or do a miracle that not every person would agree to be miraculous.  That is ok with me.  Let’s stay with the classical definition of miracle, i.e. a wonder or marvel.  If I can do something marvelous, I am willing to say that is miraculous.  It did not require God’s immediate intervention, although I am sure God would be happy with the miracle.  And if someone else does not interpret that marvelous deed as miraculous, that’s ok; it’s still marvelous!  The deed is what is important, not what we call it.

I think this is what hit me so positively about the priest’s phrase.  In some way this day I want to work a miracle.  Maybe I can manage a couple or three!  And maybe you can, too?  It does not mean we have to turn water into wine! 

I do think we have all sorts of chances and situations in our normal day to be miraculous.  They are not prescribed, but they can be performed in some way.  Your way probably will be different than my way.  Perhaps the way we all can look at it---as miracle workers---is to ask where in this day can I do wondrous and marvelous things?  And maybe it is not always a matter of doing.  Perhaps it can be as simple as being marvelous and wondrous.

If we all did this today, that would be a miracle!  I am going to try. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri