Skip to main content

Where Your Treasure Is

Long-time readers of this inspirational reflection could have rightly concluded that music is not a big deal with me.  Traditionally music was not important to Quakers.  In fact, the first two centuries or more of our history, music was not used at all.  And when I was growing up, music was not very present in my family.  So I have not had much in my context that supports and values music.  I am certainly not against it.   

Being a product of the 1960s means I was very aware of the rock n’ roll music that blared from the radios.  I recall how aghast the parental generation was when Elvis hit the scene.  I liked the Beach Boys and would agree that overall the lyrics of the music in the ‘60s left something to be desired!  By the time I was growing up, many Quakers were using music in their worship services, but it often was pretty mediocre. 

One of the things that I most liked when I began visiting monasteries was the music.  Very often, it would be the Gregorian chants that lured me into the feeling and the words of the music.  It felt very spiritual and I am not sure I could explain that.  But I liked it.  I began to appreciate how music could be a conduit for the Divine Presence.  I appreciate how soulful it could be. 

Recently, I wandered into a setting where the gathering hymn lured me into a meditative mode.  It did “gather” those of us who had come to worship.  Once again, I was very aware how affective---how much feeling---the music was for me.  The tone and melody sucked me into a deeper place within.  And yet paradoxically, it also brought me outside of myself to begin that process of joining and being conjoined with all the other people who were present.  It was as if the Spirit had come melodically into our midst and was picking each of us up by our souls and making us one.  We began to become one with the One. 

I can be touched by the music and pay almost no attention to the words.  But this gathering hymn was so simple that when we sang it time and time again, the words started to work their way into my heart.  I did not have to read them any more.  My voice literally was putting words to music.  And this was part of the unison activity of all of us together. 

I was vaguely aware of the theology of the words I was singing.  I knew they were biblical words and could have told you they were from one of Paul’s epistles.  But I really did not want a biblical lesson.  I wanted the unifying worship experience.  And so I continued to participate at a sub-theological, sub-rational level.  It was time to be spiritual.  Theory would be shelved in favor of practice. 

Time and time again, we began the gathering hymn.  “Where your treasure is, there your heart shall be.”  I knew deeper and deeper that this was true.  In the moment I was sure my treasure was this group of people and our God.  When worship is over and I am on my own, I realize my treasure might slip into other, less divinely focused arenas.  I need to stay aware of this and watch out. 

The second line of the hymn spoke to this reality.  The line affirms, “All that your possess will never set you free.”  How true, indeed!  And that is why those of us who are rich in material wealth have such a hard time with authentic freedom.  Oh, we may be free to do, as we like.  But we are not really free.  We have to be on guard.  Again, I understand why my monk-friends take the vow of poverty.  Why not opt out of possessions and make oneself really free?  Sounds so simple, but it is difficult when we have stuff!

I found the next line encouraging.  It tells me to “Seek the things that last.”  Again the truth of that seemed so obvious to me.  Once more, it is so simple.  Seek the things that last.  I guess that rules out fancy cars and all the trappings that I know I could easily go after.  I have enough money to buy some of that stuff!  A new car might be super, but it never can be soulful.  And ultimately, it will rust.  Maybe our souls also rust when we are seeking after the things that don’t last. 

And so we go back to the beginning.  “Where your treasure is, there your heart shall be.”  Half the time, I have no clue where my heart is.  I could probably make up an answer if I were asked.  But would it be accurate and honest?  In many instances, I doubt that it would be. 

My treasure is likely betrayed by what I spend my time and effort on.  To what do I give my heart?  Making money?  Television or computer games?  We likely would not say they are our treasure or that we find our heart in those things.  But it is nevertheless true.  I want to do better. 

So I am going to exercise some care with respect to my possessions.  And I am going to seek the things that last.  In a spiritual group I do pretty well.  On my own I realize I need help.  So Lord, grant me community---the gathered community.  It is a treasure in its own right.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri