Skip to main content

When You Have a Bad Day

As many of you know, I like to try to follow a daily discipline of some devotional time.  No doubt, the key word is discipline.  It is so tempting to define spirituality and the spiritual journey in a way that excludes discipline.  It is easy to make spirituality the same thing as religion.  For many Christians religion is a matter of belief---of doctrine.  Certainly no Jew would begin with doctrine, nor would a Buddhist.  On the other hand, the Christian tends to begin a discussion on religion with some kind of “I believe” statement.           

I am not against belief.  It is clear to me that one cannot really be spiritual without having some kind of belief.  For many it will be a belief in God.  This is not where the Buddhist would begin.  I certainly have my own beliefs and, hopefully, some kind of coherent belief system.  For example, what I think about God should correlate with how I think about the world.           

Belief systems do not necessarily have an element like discipline.  I am convinced that spirituality has to have an inherent discipline or it is just a bunch of ideas.  Ideas are not bad; in fact, they are necessary.  But spirituality has to do with life and life is more than ideas.  Life is action---often sustained action over time.  And this is where discipline typically comes into the picture.           

So in my discipline practice, I turned to the readings from the Psalms that were listed for the night prayer in yesterday’s lectionary.  The night prayer is called Compline, which seems to imply “complete.”  Compline is the last monastic communal time before the monks head to their individual rooms and to bed to rest for another day.  Compline is my favorite part of the daily lectionary.           

I had to laugh when I read the first Psalm that was listed for yesterday’s Compline.  Early in Psalm 143, the Psalmist shares these words: “The enemy has hounded my spirit, he has crushed my life to the ground, he has shut me in darkness, like the dead of long ago.”  Wow, I thought, this is a bummer!  These words sound like the Psalmist has had a bad day.  That is when I laughed.  I don’t think I have ever considered the writer of the Psalms had a bad day.           

Too often religion and spirituality are offered as recipes for living so that people never will have bad days.  Of course, that is ridiculous.  Nobody can live life without having a bad day.  Maybe in Eden, Adam and Eve never had a bad day.  But then, we all know they had a bad day---a very bad day, indeed.  They fell, or so the story goes.  And on their bad day were sown the seeds of all the bad days all human beings apparently are destined to have.           

Listen carefully to the bad day of the Psalmist.  The first complaint is that the enemy has hounded my spirit.  I can resonate with this.  My “enemy” takes on many forms.  My enemy might be a co-worker or unruly student.  It might be the guy who runs into my car.  My enemy can even be me!  Sometimes I am my own worst enemy.  I become overcommitted---too busy---and drive myself nuts.  I do not even need an external enemy!  All my enemies hound my spirit.  They harass me relentlessly.           

The second line from the Psalmist becomes even more dramatic: he has crushed my life to the ground.  I understand that teenagers occasionally get grounded.  But when the enemy grounds us, that is serious!  This seems like the Psalmist is halted, stymied and impotent.  Hope fades and things get bleaker.  I have had bad days---and bad stretches---like that.           

So what is one to do?  Let me offer three simple suggestions.  They are not necessarily easy, but they are simple.  In the first place when you are having a bad day, keep your faith.  And if you don’t have faith, find or create faith.  It can be faith in God, which many of us have.  But even if you can’t have faith in God, have faith in something bigger than yourself.  Have a faith that transcends your person and your situation.  Faith helps us not be egocentric.  We are not god.  Discover God.         

Secondly, when you are having a bad day, stay with community.  And if you don’t have a community, get to work to find or create community.  Community is a place where people care for you and you are asked to care.  To be part of community is to be part of a place that offers meaning and purpose. Latch on to the bigger picture that community provides.  Again, it is not just about you.          

Finally, when you have a bad day, persevere.  Develop a quality of resiliency.  Authentic spirituality enables people to develop a resiliency---a quality of “bounce back.”  Resiliency means that one will not get stuck in the place the Psalmist describes: being shut in the darkness, like the dead.  The dead are not resilient.  You are not dead.          

When you have a bad day, keep the faith, stay with community and be resilient.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri