Skip to main content

On the Road Again

Yesterday I spent a good part of the day on the road.  Periodically, I take trips to see people.  If it is a distant trip, that means a plane ticket and flight.  But if it is less than five hundred miles, I prefer to drive.  Flying used to be fun, but that is not the word I use to describe it any more.  Driving may not be fun either, but is does seem more sane to me.  At least, I am in control of my schedule and I feel more free.           

I am not naïve that taking a car trip is profound.  At one level, there certainly is nothing spiritual about it.  The intent was to hop in the car and travel from one point to the other.  The trip can be measured in miles or in time.  Sometimes we say, “the trip was about four hundred miles.”  Other times we will say something like, “the trip took six hours.”  Finally, all that really matters is that we make the trip and arrive at our destination.          

My trip yesterday was not spectacular in any way.  Fortunately, it was uneventful.  There were no mishaps---no near wrecks.  Sometimes, I am amazed at how far I can drive and apparently not be too observant.  There was nothing especially noteworthy about the scenery.  Often I can be a little disappointed in myself that I notice less of what is “there,” than I am sure is “there.”  Perhaps that is because I just want to finish the trip and arrive at my destination.             

I think it was this last dawning realization that set me to thinking.  I began to think about trips.  I immediately went in two directions with my mind.  The first direction sent me into my memory bank and the famous song by Willie Nelson, “On the Road Again.”  A quick research told me that Willie wrote and debuted the song in 1980.  I thought it was older than that.  I like the song.           

The other direction that my mind went was to recall how important the metaphor of “journey” is in a number of different spiritual traditions.  Often life itself is portrayed as a journey.  It occurred to me that we could talk about life as a journey.  However, it takes on even more meaning if I talk about it as a spiritual journey.  I find this an engaging idea.           

Like my trip yesterday, the journey of life has a beginning and an end.  Certainly, the beginning is the day of our birth.  While we could say the destination of life’s journey is death, I think there are better options.  Of course, we will die.  We could see life’s destination as heaven or the kingdom---two significant biblical images.  I have nothing against either of these.  I can hope to wind up “there,” whatever the kingdom or heaven “there” turns out to be.           

However, I prefer to talk about the duration of life’s spiritual journey as a love story.  And the destination of this journey is Love Itself.  I imagine death as the doorway into Love Itself.  Instead of extinction, death is more like a matriculation---a beginning of new life.             

If life’s journey is a love story, then surely it is not a solitary trip.  It has to include friends.  And this took me back to Willie Nelson’s song.  Willie’s song opens with these words: “On the road again, just can’t wait to get on the road again.  The life I love is making music with my friends.”  These words can be appropriated for the spiritual journey of life.           

If it is a journey of love, then I can wait to get on the road again.  Willie says the life he loves is making music with his friends.  I would say the same thing.  I am not talking about literally making music, but I do think life’s journey as a love story is musical---harmonious, melodic and sweet.  Like Willie says, this journey is “goin’ places that I’ve never been. And it is “seein’ things I may never see again.”  Perhaps this is the secret of life as a spiritual journey.  As a spiritual journey, we will see things that I might not ever see and I might be taken places that I have never been.           

I like another one of Willie’s lines in the song.  He talks about a band of his friends going down the highway.  In fact, Willie says, “We’re the best of friends.”  This is the place I stop and take stock.  Am I part of just such a band?  Do I have “the best of friends” traveling with me?  For me this is the question of community.  Am I part of a nurturing, nourishing community of travelers?  Am I part of someone else’s love story?           

If the answer is affirmative, then I need to cultivate my own love story and those stories of my friends.  If I realize I am traveling alone too much of the time, then I have time.  I have time to get on the road again.  I have time to look for spiritual travelers who would be willing to let me join their band of folks on the way.  If they are a true community, they always will be open and inclusive.             

I had to laugh, as I pulled into my destination.  I was home; the trip was finished.  But my spiritual journey is not at all finished.  I am thankful to be on the road again with the best of friends.  I am heading into the heart of Love Itself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri