Skip to main content

Climbing to God

Again, it’s back to the basics.  I know I have done this quite a bit.  But it is always a good thing occasionally to go back to the basics.  I like reading a range of material and I am always amazed how easy it is to find spiritual connections and lessons in a huge number of venues.  It is true, I believe, to find the spiritual ebbing through almost all of our daily life.  But there are always good reasons to go back to the basics.

Back to the basics for me means that I engage the daily lectionary that I use.  Of course, most days I don’t use that to comment on life.  But it is always present.  It is the substratum of life for me.  It is part of the day’s pulsating presence.  I know it is always there, but I also know that sometimes I pay no attention.  And then I wonder why life seems a bit shallow or maybe a little more aimless.  God is always present and ready to speak to me, if I will but listen. 

I know God does not speak in a normal human way.  I don’t hear voices in my ears.  I don’t get visible signs in the world as I walk around in it.  I have no billboard divine announcements.  But God does speak.  I hear that voice in scripture.  I discern that divine voice in the words of God’s saints.  And frequently God speaks to me with the voice of my friends and acquaintances, but those are the most difficult to believe that God is actually using them for me! 

For example, this morning I turned to the morning readings from my lectionary---the daily prayers and readings from my Benedictine monk friends.  The heart of the morning lectionary reading was from Psalm 84.  It was a Psalm I had not remembered reading, but I am sure I have done it a few times.  I love the way the Psalm begins: “How delightful is your dwelling-place, Lord of Hosts.”  

Then a little later in the Psalm comes some great spiritual truth for me.  The Psalmist assures us, “Blessed the man whose help comes from you, who has set his heart on climbing to you.”  When I am devotionally attentive to this kind of material, I try to move through it slowly and let the truth impact me and to absorb it.  If I stay with this sentence, I realize it affirms that God helps us.  I am convinced this is true for all of us.  However, it is also true that this help may not always be very evident or visible.  Some of us would have a difficult time pointing to something and saying, “Yep, that’s God’s help.”  And so, it is easy to assume God helps others, but not me! 

Maybe we need the other half of that verse to make it full.  God helps us, but we also have to set our heart on climbing to God.  That idea resonates with me, although there are times I confess I would just like God to help me and I’ll forget the climbing part!  Give me grace, O Lord, and don’t expect any effort from me!  Climbing?  That sounds like hard work! 

Let’s pursue the climbing theme to see how the Psalmist develops it.  The Psalmist tells us spiritual climbers “pass through the valley of thirst and make a spring there…”  The valley of thirst is a powerful image.  On the surface it sounds uninviting and foreboding.  Who wants voluntarily to pass through a valley of thirst?  Can’t God simply order a helicopter and fly us directly to the Presence of the Divine?  I think the answer is obvious. Spiritual climbing---the religious journey---takes human effort and the gift of Divine grace. 

Even though we go through the valley of thirst, there will be a spring made there.  I understand the spring to be symbolic of that grace God provides.  It takes some faith to believe that God will provide the grace of water if we head into the valley of thirst.  But if we have no faith, if we fail to go, we’ll never know that Presence of Divinity Itself. 

I would like to nab one more line from the Psalmist.  If we can undergo that spiritual climb, the Psalmist tells us that we “will go from strength to strength…”  That is encouraging and reassuring.  “Trust me,” I hear God telling us.  Trust is simply another word for “faith.”  Paradoxically, if you begin the work and effort of spiritual climbing, we will go from strength to strength.  Much of faith is paradoxical.  I think of the biblical assurance that in weakness comes strength.   

It is all worth it.  We have a goal.  The Psalmist puts it in biblical, theological terms.  The Psalmists blesses us with the promise: “they will see the God of gods, in Zion.”  You can’t see God unless you begin to climb.  Along the way, you will find springs of living water.  And instead of fatiguing, you will go from strength to strength.  And finally, you will “see.”   

We may literally see God.  But surely, metaphorically we will “see.”  We will understand life.  We will grasp meaning and purpose.  We will know that our life is good, is worthwhile, and has dignity.  We will know that we are treasures in earthen vessels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri