Skip to main content

Our Wounded Ego

I have been teaching for a long time now, but I never tire of the freshness of what I am doing.  I feel very fortunate to have groups of young people troop through my classes.  I suspect that most of them really don’t know what they have signed up to receive in my class.  That may be true for most college classes, but I doubt it.  I should think if you sign up for a Chemistry or Accounting class, you have a pretty good idea what the content will be.  However, when eighteen year-olds sign up for a class called, Contemplative Spirituality, most of them have little clue what that really means.           

In fact, I am frequently surprised that students keep signing up for something like this.  Generally human nature is not up for taking on the unknown.  Most of the time most of us prefer the known.  I am grateful for the chance to have so many walk into the room the first day of the semester and, then, hang in there for four months.             

When I tell them my focus is “experiential,” I don’t think that really registers.  They know what “experience” means, but when you move that word to its cousin, “experiential,” they might be able to guess, but that’s not the same as knowing.  What it means is they are in there not only to learn some ideas and concepts, but to learn about life through their experience.  What’s more, the learning that I propose will likely fiddle with how they experience life and how they think about life.  If I were honest, I should post a sign on the door: “Danger Ahead!”           

Of course, it does not mean they inevitably will be hurt.  My class is not designed to be a regimen of pain.  But sometimes, spiritual growth entails a little discomfort and, sometimes, a little suffering.  Frequently, good things come out of some discomfort and a little suffering.  Ask a mother who has just given birth to her child.  Most new mothers are ecstatic to have their baby, but most of them experienced a little discomfort and, perhaps, some suffering in the birth process.           

And so three days a week, twenty-eight students walk through the classroom door.  Often they have been asked to read some material.  Sometimes I don’t think what they read actually hits them.  We can speed read some passages about love, but when you slow down and think about what you read, its weightiness begins to hit you.  That was the case with a passage in a book by Gerald May (Will and Spirit) that I had asked them to read.           

The passage talked about experiences of having a “wounded ego.”  Those are easy words to read as we speed along in the text.  But if we stop and think about what we are reading, the words become more daunting.  I asked if any of the students had experienced wounded egos?  I was not surprised when two or three mustered up the courage to share their stories.  It was a poignant moment for them and for all of us who were privileged to hear them.          

Our culture encourages us all to have strong egos.  In fact, our culture often tilts in the direction of being egocentric.  We are led to believe we are the center of the universe---our little universe, anyway.  We are taught to get ours while the getting is good.  All this sets us up not to be vulnerable, if we can help it.  Too often, we confuse our ego with our self.  Most spiritualities that I read warn against this confusion.  Our true self is not the same thing as our ego.  We are more than and deeper than our ego.  God does not deal with egos; God deals with our real self.           

The students who shared their stories of a wounded ego were able to learn a deep spiritual lesson.  Their wounded ego also was a wounded sense of who they thought they were.  If I am an athlete, I usually have a good bit of ego vested in being an athlete.  If that athletic prowess suffers wounding, I realize I am not who I thought I was.  My wounded ego challenges my identity.  A wounded ego often forces us to wonder if we are somebody at all?             

A wounded ego is usually a humbling experience.  The ego is knocked off its lofty perch.  But with the humility comes a wonderful opportunity to begin to know who I really am---at my deeper level.  It allows me to begin to know my true self.  Finally, my true self is the only “real” self.             

When the students shared their wounded ego stories, they invited us into their grief and, at some point, what will be their healing and growing as true selves.  Their story will have to become our story, too, if we ever are to know truly who we are.  As long as we are caught up in ego-agendas, we are not “real” people.  For sure, we might look good and be temporarily successful.  But we are not real.         

Sooner or later, our ego-identity will need to be wounded so that the true self can emerge, grow and blossom.  That is the self that God patiently seeks to see.  Finally the wounding is good news.  However, it seldom seems that way in the beginning.  This is all knowledge; be willing to greet the wounding---the good news that you are on the way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri