Skip to main content

Polycarp: Model of Perseverance

One of the things I like about hanging out with Catholics is the fact that I am continually sharing parts of that particular Christian tradition that my own Quaker tradition does not emphasize.  One of the things is their use of the saints of the Church.  I like that so many days of the year are dedicated to particular saints.  In my own mind there is no necessary connection of a day and the saint associated with that day.  But it is always a good occasion to focus on a special person of the Church.           

Recently one of the saint days that I welcomed was the day celebrating Polycarp.  I used to spend some time with that old saint, but since I don’t teach more specialized courses in Christian history, I seldom have occasion to think about Polycarp.  So to share his saint day was like a reunion with an old friend.           

I am sure that I never heard of Polycarp during my growing up days as a Quaker.  But I learned about him in my first serious Christian history when I went to college.  I was fascinated by his life and his witness.  Let me share a few highlights of this saintly figure from the early Church.  He was born just past the halfway mark of the first Christian century…probably about 70CE.  He lived nearly a hundred years, therefore, dying mid-second century.  It is possible Polycarp actually knew a few disciples of Jesus.  More likely, he was a young friend of some of the second-generation disciples.             

He lived in what was then called Asia Minor---modern-day Turkey.  He became a Christian at some point and, then, became a Christian leader.  He was revered as a bishop.  As a leader, he was engaged in helping chart the evolution and development of the Christian movement.  Because Christianity is such a given in our culture, it is difficult to imagine what it really was like in those early, formative days.  Polycarp’s early years would have been simultaneous with the appearance of the four Gospels.             

The thing that doubtlessly caused Polycarp to be remembered, sainted and celebrated more than eighteen centuries later was his martyrdom.  Polycarp died for his faith.  Polycarp lived at a time when Christianity was not recognized by the Roman government.  Leaders were especially vulnerable to discovery and execution.  Polycarp would have been a very visible leader.  Like others before him, he would have had a choice: denounce his faith or suffer for his faith.           

Polycarp chose to suffer for his faith.  He paid the ultimate price.  When I first encountered the story of Polycarp, I was moved by his story.  As a leader among the Christians of the second century, he played a crucial role.  He must have always known the possibility that death lurked around the corner.  But he had made his commitment.  He would live out that commitment.  He had the resolve to stay the course---whatever course that might be.             

I think it was his commitment that was the foundation that enabled him to persevere.  His life and then his death made him a model of perseverance.  In today’s language we would probably say that he “walked the walk.”  Talking the talk is easy where there is little or no price to pay.  Polycarp’s faith was true and his commitment was unflappable.  In the face of persecution he could “walk the walk.”  He persevered.  He modeled an exceptional quality of allegiance.           

I think about his model of perseverance.  Surely, there are many components in this modeling.  I can think of at least three.  In the first place he had a deep and abiding faith in God.  Perhaps today this might be described as a faith in a Cause or Principle bigger than ourselves.  I am comfortable with God-language.  Polycarp helps me see that my God has to be a cause or principle far bigger than I am.  Is my God worth my ultimate sacrifice?  I have growing to do!           

Secondly, his deep faith must have given him confidence and the resolve to persevere---no matter what.  He must have known that when the going gets tough, “the tough get going.”  It may seem odd to talk about a martyr having confidence, but I think it was a confidence rooted in the strength of his faith, his commitment and the integrity of faith that he was bound to live out.           

Thirdly, I think there must be an element of grace in the perseverance.  Somehow Polycarp surely was very clear God would be with him.  To the secular ears of our culture, that must seem like utter nonsense.  But I have some sense of God’s grace and, I’m sure, so did Polycarp.  Clearly God’s grace was not going to swoop down and spare his life.  He died!  But he persevered.  He models perseverance.           

I hope I never get tested the way Polycarp was tested.  I know I am not ready for that kind of test.  Sometimes I feel like a spiritual kindergartner!  With Polycarp’s help, I know the growing that can take place.  I have the faith, commitment and resolve.  It can grow and deepen.  That’s the good news---the hopeful news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri