Skip to main content

Calls or “the Call”

It seems like all one has to do is pay attention and potential themes for spiritual inspiration and reflection daily jump out at you.  One way of saying it is religion is always in public life.  Sometimes it is explicitly religious and other times religion is in the public life, but it is implicit.  When it is implicit, you have to be alert and pay attention or you’ll miss it.

Such was the case yesterday when I was reading an article online.  Gradually it dawned on me what I was reading was implicitly spiritual.  It was an article by Andrew Keen, a British-American entrepreneur and social skeptic, as he was called.  That description of the guy nearly stopped me in my tracks.  I understand an entrepreneur, but social skeptic?  That is an interesting vocation! 

The article is entitled, “How our Mobiles Became Frankenstein’s Monster.”  I hope it is clear that “mobiles” means our smartphones.  For a long time, I could laugh at this one.  I did not have a smartphone and did not plan to buy one.  Wrong again!  I remember making a joke that I had a “dumb phone!’  Well the joke is on me.  Now that I have one, I figured I had better read the article with some care.  After all, who wants Frankenstein’s Monster in your pocket? 

As I began to read, I thought the article was going to be more psychological.  Keen talks about whether folks are able to live without the device.  Psychologically this sounds like the opening to a lecture on addiction.  Listen to his words.  Exaggeration? When was the last time you went out without your smartphone? How naked, how lost, do you feel without your mobile device? How much essential data, I mean really personal stuff that you wouldn't want anyone else to see, does your mobile phone contain?” 

It was there in those words I began to see the implicit spiritual material.  Notice how he talks about our state of being without our mobile.  He uses language I associate with sin: naked and lost.  That sounds like Adam and Eve in the garden after munching on the forbidden fruit.  Maybe my smartphone has become the proverbial apple! 

I was now very intrigued.  I read on.  I had to laugh.  These gadgets are not called “smartphones” for no reason.  Once again, I was on the lookout for religious language.  Keen says, “The real problem with these phones is their increasing intelligence. Just as Google is designing the self-driving car, so tomorrow's cell phone will become more and more all-knowing.” 

It hit me squarely.  The author speculates on the smartphone becoming “all-knowing.”  That sounds like God-language to me.  I certainly don’t think about myself as all-knowing.  My mind is too frail and feeble ever to make me think I know everything.  I am a limited human being.  And so is every other human being I know.  But if any one or anything is all-knowing, it is God. 

So if the smartphone approaches being all-knowing, then we would start attributing god-like attributes to that device.  That sounds to me perilously close to idolatry.  Who needs to listen for God’s call on my life?  I prefer to get a phone call, email, or text message and get the “word!’  In fact, there are multiple calls on my smartphone.  That is even better than God!  And the connection is almost always good.   

There is a conference happening in Barcelona, Spain, that precipitated Keen’s article.  He refers to this event when he notes, "All the coercively seductive new products unveiled in Barcelona in the next few days are just phones. They can't make us younger, richer, more virile or more intelligent. And they certainly don't empower us.”  Now here is some spiritual sanity that I can grab.  Be careful about the addictive, idolatrous call of my smartphone.  It can be seductive!  But it cannot make me younger or richer.  It has no chance of making me more virile.  It may be a smartphone, but it won’t make me smarter. 

Just as the Old Testament folks had to be careful and distinguish the real God from the idolatrous gods, so do we in the twenty-first century.  I begin to ponder this.  If I am always connected---always getting calls, texts, etc., then I have little or no chance of receiving the one call of God on my life.  So what difference does this make? 

A big difference, I would argue.  If I am intrigued and trapped by all the calls, I am probably trading the important for the interesting.  Of course, I find all the little calls interesting.  They may even be entertaining.  But are they important?  Perhaps.  Are they ultimately important? Of course not.  There is only one ultimately important call.  And that is God’s call on your life and on my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri