Skip to main content

No Fame, No Shame

Recently I had the opportunity to attend a Hall of Fame banquet.  It was a very nice occasion.  I knew some of the folks, but not well, who were being inducted into the Hall of Fame.  I was happy for them.  In this case the fame for which they were being lauded was athletics.  Of course, for each and every one, there was an impressive array of statistics that underscored why they had been selected and were being honored.  The occasion was an evening of superlatives.  This person was the “best at…”  So often, she was “better than…”  And so the litany of praise went.           

I am sure that is the standard fare for induction into any kind of Hall of Fame.  I am sure there are more of these Halls of Fame than I can imagine.  It prompted me to think a little bit about fame.  To have fame is to be recognized by others.  It is to gain some kind of reputation that suggests you surpass the others in some arena.  If it is basketball, it means you excel in ways that the other 99% of players do not.  Fame is the reputation of “standing out---outstanding.”          

Of course, there is a link between fame and famous.  People who are famous have built up enough recognition that the status of fame is accorded to them.  Having said that, though, I realize how tricky this can become.  Fame often is associated with celebrity.  And our society certainly loves its celebrities.  No doubt, all the modern media accelerated this celebrity-making.  Television was a huge celebrity-maker.  And now there is the social media world---YouTube, Twitter and the like.           

Maybe fame is fascinating because so few are acclaimed.  In our world people can become famous for impressive things or stupid things.  People become famous when enough people know you, recognize you, can cite your reputation, etc.  That’s why I am not famous!  But we know fame can be fleeting.  “Famous today, forgotten tomorrow.”  Perhaps that flash-in-the-pan fame is not significant.  Compare some of the famous people today with an Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King, Jr.  Those two will be famous tomorrow and in fifty years.  YouTube won’t exist in fifty years!           

I am also fascinated by the reverse side of fame, namely, shame.  Perhaps we could say that shame is fame for the wrong reason!  I have often heard people laughingly refer to the Hall of Shame.  Again, there are some folks who are widely known for the shame they have wrought.  It is easy to think of Bernie Madoff, who ripped off countless people for some $50 billion!  Public shame must be awful.           

As I ponder this, my mind turns to the folks in the world of religion who have been attributed fame or who have earned the recognition of shame.  It is easy to think about Jesus, Mohammed, and the Buddha.  I am sure not one of them set out to become famous.  I am not sure any of them were dazzling or handsome.  Their clothes would not have set them apart.           

Since most readers are more familiar with Jesus, let’s use him as our example.  As I read the New Testament, there is no indication he wanted to be famous.  As a matter of fact, his public life met with a fair amount of resistance.  He managed to attract a motley crew of followers, but by and large, most folks likely ignored him.  He did attract the attention of some who began to worry about his message.  Some of his fellow Jews and, certainly, some of the Romans began to monitor his “craziness.”           

Some of the Jews probably were concerned for any emerging fame.  And the Romans would have seen him more from the shame perspective.  From the Roman imperial perspective, his teaching was shameful.  In the end and paradoxically, the Romans killed him to end it all and phoenix-like he became famous!  And all this happened without television and YouTube!           

I claim to be a follower of Jesus.  I am helped by teachings from the Buddha and have been helped by Muslim perspectives.  Fortunately for me, however, there is no fame and no shame.  I am in the middle---between fame and shame.  I am like 99.9% of the population.  No fame, no shame.  I am not outstanding in any regard.  Does that mean I don’t count?           

Of course, I count.  And you count.  And everybody counts.  That’s the illusion of fame and shame.  The illusion suggests than if you are not famous---or infamous---you don’t count; you are a nobody!  But every major religious tradition would call this a lie.           

We all count.  Every one of us is a child of the Holy One---beloved and precious.  We are known, recognized, valued and valuable in the eyes of that Lover of All.  To be loved is the spiritual sauce of the universe.  You are loved!  Fame and shame do not guarantee love.  In fact, they often make it more difficult.  No fame, no shame---but love, indeed! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri