Skip to main content

Hospitality

I have been reading again some excerpts from Martin Marty’s writings.  Many of you know I like the kinds of things Marty has written now for nearly sixty years.  What Marty writes about all things religious is great in and of it.  But he quotes so many interesting people and this adds spice to the mix. 

It was in one such piece that I encountered another friend of mine, the late Henri Nouwen.  Nouwen was a Dutch Catholic priest who came to this country.  He was one of the early, popular writers on spirituality.  He was one of those writers who helped me begin to read and appreciate spirituality.  One of my favorite times was the occasion when I hosted Henri for a couple days where I used to teach. 

The words Marty gleaned from Nouwen have to do with hospitality.  As I understand it, hospitality gets at the heart of discipleship.  Listen to Nouwen’s words.  “When hostility is converted into hospitality, then fearful strangers become guests revealing to their hosts the promise they are carrying with them.”  I find that opening line arresting: when hostility is converted into hospitality…  The verb is an active verb.  I or you are the ones who can convert hostility!  I suppose God could do it, too.  But in Nouwen’s words, we humans have the task or opportunity. 

How would we go about this kind of converting?  Perhaps, the simplest way is not meeting hostility with more hostility.  In words I have used elsewhere, I suggest we might respond to hostility instead of react to it.  Usually, reacting is leveraging my power to get even or, even, win.  But if I respond, I have a much wider range of possibilities….like converting hostility into hospitality.  Nouwen tells us what might happen. 

Fearful strangers can become guests.  At one level, this seems unbelievable.  And sometimes it might not work.  But that does not mean it is unbelievable.  Why should we expect this to succeed every single time?  Nothing else I do that matters succeeds every time either!  What if it succeeds only some of the time?  That certainly makes it worth doing.

If a fearful stranger becomes a guest, then we can see (and appreciate) the promise the formerly hostile stranger carried within himself or herself all along.  Instead of a punch, we get peace.   

Nouwen has one more thought that I value.  If we do the converting of hostility into hospitality, “then, in fact, the distinction between host and guest proves to be artificial and evaporates in the recognition of the newfound unity.”  You and I know what it means to be both a host and a guest.  Both words are nothing more than the poles of a relationship.  In some sense, they are roles.  For example, if you come to my house, let’s call you guest and I will be the host.  If I visit your place, the roles reverse. 

But you and I are the same people.  Our friendship will be the same whoever’s house we have entered.  That is what hospitality does: it invites the other into our place.  On a big scale, this is exactly how I understand God at work in our world.   

I see God continuously inviting each of us into relationship---befriending us.  God wants us even when we are hostile.  Why?  Love.  Routinely, God converts hostility into hospitality by loving us.  As disciples, we are called to do no less.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri