Skip to main content

Insecurity's Gift

This odd title is an altered form of an intriguing article I just read.  It is by Eric G. Wilson and his title is “The Gift of Financial Insecurity.”  Often I am looking in some unlikely places of ordinariness to find the spiritual gems.  Much of what Wilson discusses is insightful.  He certainly does not discount the problems that our current economy has brought…and probably yet will bring.  There are layoffs, cutbacks, and other misfortunes.

But there are “gifts” in these lousy circumstances.  I particularly like one of his lines because it rings true to my own experience.  Wilson says that these times can cause us to question the way we have been living.  He continues with the comment that, “Doing so, we pull within, explore ourselves, and discover what is really important to us, what we most require to make our lives valuable.” I actually smiled when I read that last phrase, “to make our lives valuable.”

A flip remark crossed my mind: “oh, so valuables don’t always make life valuable!”  Indeed, a valuable life is not constituted by the valuables we have.  Having valuables clearly can make our lives easier, more painless, and at one level, more enjoyable.  But there is no direct association between valuables and meaning in life.  And I think this is where Wilson is going.  And this is the spiritual which, for me, is always about meaning in life.

One truth about being human---in good times and in bad---is that time marches on.  Of course, in good times that marching is more fun, more pleasant, etc.  But this truth leads Wilson to recognize that “nothing in this ephemeral life is secure at all.”  No doubt, all of us beyond about the age of seven know this.  But if you are like me, too much of my life is lived disconnected from that reality---almost as if I did not know.  And then along come some bad times and, boom surely enough, “nothing is secure at all.”

And then we hit the spiritual note in Wilson’s little essay.  He says, “Almost of necessity, we are being forced into a more contemplative life, in which wealth can be immaterial and scarcity can make room for abundance.”  Cleverly, Wilson has played around with the normal meaning of concepts.  He leads us to consider how our immaterial treasures are really our wealth.

For me that is easy to grasp and, I think, it is true.  My kids, my friends, my abilities are all my wealth.  The good news is I actually can increase their value.  It is what my business buddy calls “wealth creation.”  I can become wealthier!  It can even be a really good thing to do in bad times. 

Wilson also talks about how “scarcity can make room for abundance.”  I do suppose that is his more sophisticated way of saying that “less can be more.”  I do recall the first time I heard that saying…and I said, “Huh!”  But I think I am closer to getting it.  And getting it is a spiritual thing.  I do think the monks with whom I was recently associated get it.  They already know “less can be more.”  In an odd way they chose scarcity, so that they may find spiritual abundance.  But that is one big difference: they chose it and so many of us won’t.  It will be forced on us.

But we do have a choice…a spiritual choice.  We, too, can choose a more contemplative life.  Bad times do not have to be just misery (although they probably will be that).  Bad times can also lead to spiritual wealth.

My prayer is: Lord, I am not asking for bad times.  But if bad times come, teach me to be a contemplative.  And give me some friends to help me.           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri