Skip to main content

Religion: What Do You Think?

Out of the blue came a request to write something very short on religion.  The request was not much more specific than that.  “Sure,” I thought, “I can write a few words on religion!”  I know that it sometimes is much more difficult to write a few words than to wax eloquent about a topic such as “religion.”

The other part of the request that was funny was that I see teenagers as one target audience.  “Of course,” I thought, “I am an expert on teenagers, their psychological and spiritual development.  After all, a few words should do it!”  After that, I think I will solve the American budget crisis and eradicate the national debt!

So where does one start when you are going to write a few words on religion?  One thing I do not assume is that most people would define religion in the same way.  I have a hunch there are many different definitions floating in the air out there.  Often that is where trouble begins; you don’t have a “correct” understanding of religion and I make some judgment.  Of course, you can do that to me, too.

However, it is just as tricky not to define religion.  If we don’t do that, then we probably are assuming I know what you think religion is.  And I probably would guess you think religion is the same thing I think it is.  After all, what I think religion is must be true! 

So let me begin with my definition of religion.  Religion is one way human beings make meaning of their lives.  To say that suggests there are other ways to make meaning in life.  I assume it is possible to be an atheist and have a meaningful life.  Religion is not necessary in my understanding (and clearly this is one place religious folks could differ with me).  And when I say “make meaning in life,” I see religion as one way to make sense out of human experience.  Meaning is a way of seeing some order, pattern, and coherence to what happens to me and to you.

I will use stories, symbols, and images from a religious tradition to structure my religion.  In my case I employ the Christian story.  That includes God who is creative.  It narrates a story about Jesus as the model human being.  There are various symbols like the cross to communicate details of the larger story.  But this is where it can get tricky.

I am reticent, however, to make religion simply a matter of “believing the stuff or not.”  Let me add a couple other things.  One healthy aspect of discussing about religion is to say questions are ok.  Questions allow exploration.  Questions allow people  (teenagers and otherwise) to talk freely about life experience.  As I was growing up and even during my teenage years, I don’t remember anyone telling me (or suggesting) that questions were ok.  Perhaps, I first heard that in college.  Before that, the message I picked up was simply to “believe that stuff.”  That’s what made you religious.

Questions do allow exploration.  Many of us have life experiences that do not necessarily make sense.  Life does not always have any coherence.  I am convinced people “make meaning,” rather than finding it in a book somewhere.  Christianity and, specifically, Quakerism have given me a solid foundation.  But I needed to be able to ask questions and tailor my religion to my life.

And this leads me to my last point.  While religion does offer answers, it is appropriate for religion to have room to grow.  Unless we are dead, there is more of life to be lived.  Who knows what yet will happen.  Hopefully, our religion is spacious enough to allow for new experiences and complexities that will come.  I have dealt with some significant issues in life, but there certainly are some life experiences I have not yet encountered.  The most predictable one, for example, is dying. 

So I want a personal religion that has room for growth.  Personally, I need a religion that is big enough to account for all those religious people out there who don’t claim their religion is Christian.  In saying that, I know there are other religious people who would disagree with me.  And that brings us full circle.  If you disagree with me, then we likely are defining religion in different ways.

So that is what I think about religion.  It would be fun to have a bunch of folks in a room and ask, “What do you think?”  That would be fun, but I also realize it would be a bit shortsighted.  After all, religion probably is also more than simply what I believe.  It also has to do with how I live---how I act. 

In my religion it does not matter much if one somehow is not loving.  Love is not so much a belief as it is an action.  I could believe in love and not be loving.  Indeed, that might even be more important.

That’s what I think about religion.  What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri