Skip to main content

Improvisation Meets Serendipity

A friend of mine sent me an interesting article on improvisation.  I know what improvisation means, but I admit I never thought too much about it.  Probably like you, when I do think of improvisation, I think of nightclubs and television.  Those are the usual venues where actors of some sort entertain people by “winging it.”  That is probably the street definition of improvisation: the ability to wing it.

That is a decent beginning understanding of improvisation, as I begin to think about it more.  The article that I read gives this street definition a little more clarity and development.  Kip Kelly, the author of the article, begins his definition in this fashion.  “In essence, improv, short for improvisation, is performing without a script; it is spontaneous invention…that is often needed to create something entirely new and unique.  Improvisation is often thought of as ‘off the cuff’ activity, with little or no preparation or forethought…”  That made a great deal of sense to me.  So far, so good.

And then to his definition, Kelly adds these words: “but this can be misleading.”  I was hooked.  I had to read further in the article.  He says that “real improv requires preparation, and often practice, to develop the ability to act and react in the moment.”  As I thought about it, this also makes sense.  I suspect the people who are really good at “winging it” are, in fact, very well prepared and experienced. They are so good, they make it look easy.

So it seems improvisation is an interesting combination of preparation and spontaneity.  We can get prepared for things and then when something spontaneous happens, we are ready to act and react.  This surely is paradoxical.  There is much you can do (preparation) and nothing you can do to anticipate what will come your way (spontaneity).  That does sound a bit like life!

Let’s look at the preparation side, since that is something we can work on.  Again, Kelly is helpful.  He talks about skills.  He notes that “some of the basic skills improvisation requires are the ability to listen and be aware of the others…” This is a great skill in many arenas.  Secondly, he says, other skills are  “to have clarity in communication, and to possess the confidence to find choices instinctively and spontaneously.”

If we could practice these three basic skills---listen, communication and making choices---we would be more ready to improvise.  In the moment when it is not clear what to do or say, we would be better prepared to make good moves and begin to write an acceptable script to go forward.  While most folks would be frozen in just such a minute, we would be able to move ahead and make something out of it.  That is attractive to me.

It was at this point that I realized there was a clear connection to a bigger picture. For me the bigger picture is life itself.  And that always includes the spiritual dimension as a crucial component in life.  I think there is much in life that is planned.  Many of us plan our lives in significant detail.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

But we all know things happen that we did not plan.  These can be called surprises, accidents, or whatever.  The fact is, we did not see them coming.  “That’s life” is often the expression we hear that attempts to explain just such events.  I would like to talk about “serendipity” as the explanation of the unexpected.  Serendipity means that we find things that we were not searching to find.

I like to think the Spirit is a form of serendipity.  For me the Spirit is a way of talking about the presence of God or the Holy One.  I cannot control that Spirit.  I cannot coerce it.  But I can be available to it when it comes.  I can embrace it when I encounter it.  I can look for it.  I can hope for the Spirit.  I can develop some basic skills to enhance my chances of being engaged by the Spirit and becoming spiritual.  And that sounds a great deal like improv.

I am arguing for improvisation as preparation for the spiritual life.  Spiritual improv is developing those basic skills---maybe even listening, communication and making choices---that prepare me to discover and delight in the Spirit.  When the Spirit comes serendipitously into my life, I am “ready.”  I can engage it, act and react in ways that deepen my life. 

My goal will not be to entertain, but it will be to obey and, as the apostle Paul says, “to walk in the newness of life.”  I won’t be acting, as in a nightclub, but I will be a spiritual actor on the stage of life.  I won’t receive applause.  But I might hear a word which says, “well done, good and faithful servant.”

I am ready to work on improvisation.  I will prepare.  And then when serendipity happens, improvisation will meet it.  And I will be on my spiritual way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri