Skip to main content

Day and Night

The real spiritual journey is a daily endeavor---day and night.  It is not a weekend thing.  It is not occasional or haphazard.  It is daily walk in the Spirit.  I know it is easy to say that.  It is just as easy to type it so that in print it looks convincing.  But I know it is not that easy in real life---at least not in my real life.

On the surface it seems like it should be relatively easy for me.  I teach the stuff!  I can read in spirituality almost any day I choose.  Some days I have to read it in order to teach a particular class for the day.  However in all honesty, it is not any easier for me than any other person.  Just because I teach spirituality does not make me spiritual.  I could teach you about Buddhism, too, but that does not make me a Buddhist.  And teaching something is not the same thing as journeying in that reality. 

I could teach you about prayer.  We could read a book or two about prayer and pass an examination on the material.  But that does not mean we have learned to pray.  We have learned about prayer.  There is a big difference! 

So how does one begin the spiritual journey?  I am sure there are many different answers from different people.  Let me identify three aspects of beginning and, then, navigating the spiritual journey: intentionality, discipline, and action.  Obviously, all three of these are general.  It is up to me and you to get specific.  Let’s look at each one in turn. 

First comes intentionality.  This is crucial.  If we can use an image, it is the keys to the car.  Nothing happens until you turn the key in the ignition.  This is how intentionality works, too.  It starts the spiritual journey.  That is still true for me now many decades into the spiritual journey.  I still have to be intentional.  I have to set aside some time for prayer.  I don’t pray in an automatic way.  I intend to pray…and then, I can pray.  It is that simple.  But it is not always that easy.  It is easy to forget---to fail to be intentional. 

Secondly comes discipline.  I cannot imagine walking a spiritual journey without discipline.  Discipline means I find a way to repeat the prayer of the first and second day.  Discipline is the key to the spiritual journey becoming the daily reality that it needs to become.  In a sense discipline is the way my intentionality is lived out over time.  It is the repetition of the original intent to be on a spiritual journey. 

The last part of the journey is the most obvious.  If I don’t act, nothing happens.  An intent to be on the spiritual journey is not yet to begin.  It is an intent to begin.  Until and unless I actually act---until I actually pray---then there is no journey.  Wanting to be on a spiritual journey is different than actually being on the journey.  Again, this is where action and discipline connect.  Discipline is repeated action over time.  That is what it means to be on a spiritual journey.

All these thoughts were precipitated when I read part of the lectionary reading for the weekend.  Some of the reading comes from one of the longest Psalms of the Hebrew Bible, namely, Psalm 119.  The reading for the day begins with the Psalmist petitioning God:I cry to you; save me…” (Ps. 119:145)  I can resonate with this petition.  I probably don’t think about “crying” to the Lord.  Likely, I don’t use the range of emotional language that the Psalmist employs.  But I can resonate with asking to be saved.   

And then comes the part that made me think about walking the spiritual journey.  The Psalmist says,147 “I rise before dawn and cry for help; I put my hope in your words.” (146) This is a recipe for the kind of discipline that is an action that sustains a spiritual journey.  In the morning I can get out of bed and cry for help---I can pray to God.  And I will put my hope in God and God’s promises to keep me safe.  

And then at night, the Psalmist has more intentionality, discipline and action.  The Psalmist says, “My eyes are awake before each watch of the night, that I may meditate on your promise.” (147)  This tells me that I could live throughout the day.  But as day closes, I can keep my eyes awake for a little bit longer.  The Psalmist says to meditate on the promises of God. 

That is a good way to go into the night.  Meditate on God’s care though the night.  Meditation is a nice alternative to prayer.  For me meditation is some leisurely pondering.  It is a different kind of action.  It adds variety to the discipline.  And it shapes my intentionality in a good way. 

What are shared here are basic ingredients of the spiritual journey.  It is what keeps me on track.  And when I get off track, it is how to get back with the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri