Skip to main content

Life's Hurdles

I had just gone to our Recreation Center for a little run.  It was nothing special; going for a run is something I have done for decades now.  Granted the years have slowed the pace of the run.  In fact, there are times when it surely seems like the run is masquerading as a walk!  But that’s ok; I’m still moving.
           
It also is not unusual to find a variety of college students doing various things in the Rec Center, as we call it.  Part of the joy of going there to exercise is to be with the younger ones who are in the prime of their lives.  Most of them are so fit and healthy, they rightly feel on top of the world.  I don’t envy them; I hope they stay on top of their world for a very long time.  I can’t even see the top of the world anymore, but that’s ok.  I’m still moving.
           
Then I noticed a group of hurdles being placed on the track.  Obviously some of the hurdlers were preparing for their practice.  I have seen this scene countless times, but suddenly an analogy popped into my mind.  Life is like the hurdles’ race.  Not a bad metaphor, I thought.  It is similar to the metaphor that the apostle Paul used in the New Testament when he talked about life as a race.  I know there have been many metaphors for life.  A favorite one has been the journey.  Life is a journey.  Pilgrimage is another favorite in spiritual literature.  You probably have heard of other ways to describe life.
           
As I continued to exercise, I thought some about the metaphor of the hurdles’ race for life.  As with all metaphors, there are limits to their usefulness.  But they are helpful; so let’s pursue this one.  The easiest connection to make between the hurdles on a track and life’s hurdles is how they must somehow be jumped.  The hurdles on a track are fairly easy, in the sense that they are well spaced and that you see them coming. 
           
As a hurdler prepares for the race, he or she waits for the gun to signal the start.  When the gun fires, off the runners go.  They build up speed very quickly and this actually aids the process of jumping the hurdles.  In fact, the hurdler goes so fast that he or she does not even seem to jump over the hurdle.  Instead they glide over.  If you watch a really good hurdler, you can hardly see them go over.  They are going so fast when the approach the hurdle, they seem simply to step over it as if it is not there.
           
Because the hurdles are well spaced, the hurdler takes each next hurdle in stride---without breaking stride.  The hurdles are all the same height, which makes hurdling very predictable.  No one ever messes with the spacing or the height.  And obviously this is where the analogy of the hurdles as a metaphor of life breaks down. 
           
Life does have its hurdles.  I suppose life’s hurdles start popping up when we are only children.  Not all childhoods go easily.  Kids get sick, get taunted at school, etc.  And then there are the teenage years.  Any of us with memories know those are not carefree times!  Adulthood often is replete with hurdles---financial, relationships, careers, etc.  Sometimes the hurdles are momentous.  In fact, we can be tempted to despair sometimes.  But we must move on or we are done for---dead.

Like the hurdles on the track, life’s hurdles have to be negotiated and traversed.  Notice I said “traversed,” instead of merely “jumped.”  Some of life’s hurdles are too big or daunting to jump.  But we need to get around them, so part of life’s journey is figuring out how to negotiate a hurdle that simply is too big to jump.  This is where human courage, ingenuity, determination, and sometimes, community come into play.

When words like these are used---words like courage, ingenuity, determination, community---I contend that we have introduced the spiritual.  These are words of the human spirit.  They may not yet be “God words,” but they are spirit words.  For me “spirit” is the animating force or energy that propels us forward through life.  Spirit provides the energy and ingenuity to negotiate life’s hurdles.

I would like to think that God is behind and within all of the human spirit that gets exercised as we run our race or complete our journey.  In my theology it is not necessary for someone to profess a belief in God to have God present in his or her life.  Insofar as each of us has an animating spirit, I affirm that spirit is somehow being fed from the wellspring of the very Spirit of God.  God’s being and presence in the world is not contingent on my believing it.

Of the spirit words used above, let’s focus for a moment on community.  Life may feel like an individual race---being up to me to win it or lose.  With that image I do have to clear all the hurdles myself.  On the contrary, I believe most important life races actually involve community.  I am eternally grateful to my fellow hurdlers for their presence, encouragement and often hand to help me negotiate my personal hurdles. 
             


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri