Skip to main content

The Straightjacket of Racism

I convene a weekly group that gathers to discuss spirituality and our lives.  It is a wonderful group made up of so many diverse, loving characters.  We have all sorts of folks from athletes to musicians.  Some are still working and some are retired.  It is a group which gathers simply because we want to gather.  There is no credit, no prestige---nothing---in the fact that we do it.  Requiring any kind of attendance or participation would radically change the group.  I would probably drop out!

            Typically, we read a book to provoke some thoughts.  But we are not a book group.  One of the books we have worked with is Sophfonia Scott’s, The Seeker and the Monk.  Scott is the seeker and the monk she puts herself into dialogue with is Thomas Merton.  Merton died in 1968, so Scott never met him. He was Catholic; she is not.  She is an African American woman.  Merton is neither. One of the chapters in the book focuses on racism and her experience as a black woman with that reality. 

            Interestingly, Merton wrote quite a bit on the topic, even though he was in a rather self-enclosed monastery in the middle of Kentucky.  But he was not oblivious to her world.  He was born in France and spent considerable time in his adolescent years living in England and other parts outside America.  He joined the monastery in 1941, so he also was very aware of Kentucky as part of the South.  Reading his works on race is still quite profitable, as Scott discovered and shares with us as readers.  As tempting as this is to develop, I share instead another aspect of our group discussion that I could not have planned.

            One of the members of our group is very well read and does it in areas I don’t even know exists.  She brought to the group was a poet, Gary Lark, whom I did not know.  She shared a piece from the cover of his recent collection of poems, Easter Creek.  I want to share some of that here and also note my gratitude to my friend for introducing me to this poet.  The poem begins:

I was born into a racist family
in a racist town, in a county
that took its bigotry for granted
 I was born into a loving family
in a community of generous folks
who gave me all they could.

I wince when I read these words, because it could be describing me.  Probably for Gary Lark and certainly for me, I did not even know this was true for me. Gratefully, at some point I became aware that I was a racist---prejudiced and all the rest.  To become aware brings the possibility of change.

            That said, to be aware is to learn how pernicious racism really is.  Later in the poem this is articulated in a helpful manner.  Lark says,

 The racism lived in mechanisms of thought,
 carried from place to place
 like great-grandma’s quilt…
Racism was woven into the fabric
like a smoldering thread.
To dismiss or deny is to hand down
the garment from generation to generation
like some immutable heritage.

            The first step is to accept we have to change and grow.  That is what I am trying to do.  I have grown immensely since those early days of youth.  But I have so much more to do.  And then there is the systemic racism that continues the pernicious effects of racism.  There is so much work to do.  It ties nicely to the final image I choose to share from the poem.

            Lark describes what racism does to us:
            It puts a straitjacket on everyone.

    What a graphic image---a straightjacket.  If you ever have had one of those on, you know you are powerless to do anything.  But getting it off is not impossible.  To do so, however, you need help.  And that seems to me to be the clue.  We all need help.  Racism is more than an individual problem; it is a communal or society problem.  We all need help.  Those who are free of the straightjacket have to help us who are still bound.  No doubt, many of those helping hands will be black hands!

            This is precisely where my friendship with Sophfonia will be helpful.  It is helpful because I know she will be helpful.  For me this is one more instance of the need of grace in our lives to live the way we should.  That makes it a spiritual issue for me.  I know Merton and Scott would agree.  Now is a good time to ask for help.  Let’s get this straightjacket off!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri