Skip to main content

Guidelines for Life

          I follow pretty closely the writings of my friend and Franciscan priest, Dan Horan, offers.  Dan is a well-educated, significantly younger public figure in religion.  He has a radiant personality and an engaging spirit.  When Dan comes into a room, it lights up.  Soon conversation with him right in the middle ensues and laughter breaks out.  Everyone seems to be having fun.  If you did not know, you would not pick him out of a crowd as one who lives like a monk.  But that says more about my own stereotyping than anything else.

    Dan reminds me that being spiritual does not have to be a dour choice in the way folks live life.  For me Dan models the way I would like to picture how Jesus was than many of those stuffy nineteenth century Quaker guys in portraits hanging in too many Quaker meetinghouses I visited over my lifetime.  I can’t imagine any young person taking a look at one of those guys and saying, “I want to be just like him!”  I think Jesus had an infectious personality, just like Dan does. 

     Recently Dan offered some thoughts about life in the post-pandemic period.  Anyone who has lived through the 2020-2022 period of infection, masks, lockdowns, etc. breathe a sigh of relief that the worst of those days seem to be over.  But like most post-fear situations, one never feels quite sure.  There is a remnant wariness that another phase can pop up at any time.  We all know that our present and futures are built on what has happened to us in the past.  The past does not have to be predestination---dictating what life to come will be.  But the past does provide a destiny that necessarily is incorporated into our present moments.

    Dan entitles his little essay, “5 Christian virtues to help us learn to live in a ‘new normal.’”  I don’t disagree that many folks would agree that the five things he offers are virtues.  But I have written a fair amount on the virtues and my list is a bit different than Dan’s list.  So I am simply going to call them “guidelines.’  They are very important and I know not everyone is going to read Dan’s words.  Hence, I am introducing them into this piece which will be shared with a different audience than his.

    Dan opens with these words that I believe are accurate: “The expression "new normal" has increasingly felt like a meaningless phrase.”  Whatever we call normal varies and it often changes even for one individual.  Normal is different for me as an older guy than it was when I was younger.  What the pandemic did was to change suddenly and dramatically what all of us would have said was our normal lives. 

    As a college professor, immediately, I left teaching in person and was offering everything online.  The word, zoom, acquired a whole new meaning for most of us.  I can still click the zoom a text to make it smaller or bigger.  But I also have a zoom icon which I click and can be on a conference call with folks from around the world.  This has become normal and I doubt will change except as new technology displaces it. 

     Let’s look at the five guidelines for life my friend, Dan Horan, gives to us.  His first one is patience.  Basically, patience helps us to kind and understanding to others as they try to continue with life in a way that makes sense.  Things have changed and we need to be patient with each other.  For example, folks on a college campus know there seems to be more mental health issues than ever.  These are real.  Veterans like me need to be patient and understand that “kids aren’t soft” and, in turn, become pains ourselves.  So be patient, not a pain---in the butt!

    I knew Dan’s second guideline would be on the list: humility.  Anyone knows that someone who is arrogant is surely a pain in the butt.  Dan puts it well when he quips, “It is OK to do less, to take one's time, to recognize that just as it was not easy to stop the whole world in March 2020, it is not easy to restart it now.”  This ties naturally into the third guideline, empathy.  Empathy is more than just being nice.  Empathy is a word rooted in love.  Empathy is my willingness to put myself in your place.  In many cases I know I cannot change your situation, but I can empathize.  And I can offer it to myself and accept it from others.

    Dan’s fourth guideline is one I do consider to be a virtue, namely, trust.  All around us we have seen the breakdown of trust.  The fight over vaccines, politicians being jerks and the like tempt all of us to a cynical mistrust of everyone and everything not like us.  Dan is absolutely correct when he observes, “in order for us to move toward a better way of living and being in the world, we need to build back our sense of trust.”  It is important that he said “build” back our trust.  Trust is not like a light switch that we simply hit and it works.  Trust is incremental and developmental.  For good reason, we talk about levels of trust.  The first step for some folks is learning to trust themselves.

     His final guideline is flexibility.  This also is not surprising.  Everyone has learned how necessary lifelong learning is.  All of us know the trust of Dan’s statement, “The luxury of sure plans and inflexible schedules is a thing of the past (if they ever existed).”  As a person of routine, I appreciate the opportunities that being flexible offers.  Saying this suggests these five guidelines are more like a circle than a linear development.  Flexibility is easier if I am humble and so on.

Live with these guidelines and life will be better.  Add them to your spiritual life and it will deepen.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri