Skip to main content

Another Look at Call

          In her book, The Seeker and the Monk, Sophfronia Scott writes about call.  Even though I have thought a great deal about the notion of call and have even write a few pieces, it is good to take another look at what a call is and how does it work.  Scott offered me a fresh way to take this new look.  Scott’s book narrates a dialogue between herself, as the seeker, and the deceased monk, Thomas Merton.  Since Merton died in 1968, Scott never met him.  She only knows him through his writings and what a few older folks who did know Merton have told her.  When you read her book, however, it seems like she and Merton have been best buddies for quite some time!

            Oddly enough the context for Scott’s consideration of call is a section about gun control.  Scott and her family live in Sandy Hook, CT, the city where the horrific school shooting happened in 2012.  Scott’s son, Tain, was a third grader in that school that fateful day.  He was not physically hurt, but carries scars of some friends who were murdered.  Scott tells the story about meeting a woman who was active gun control lobbying and demonstrating.  Scott informs us she is not into big demonstrations.  She has this in common with Merton.

            Interestingly, when Sophfronia tells the woman she was not going to be participating in big demonstrations, the woman replied, “It’s all right.  We are here to do this work for you…You lived through it, and that’s enough.” (112) Scott reflects and makes this statement: “This is my calling, she was saying.”  Interestingly, Scott adds to this thought.  “I realized when I had responded to her earlier, I was speaking from a place of darkness and no hope.  She handed hope back to me, a butterfly with gentle, golden wings.” 

            Scott continues to reflect on the notion of calling.  She touches some familiar bases.  Often a call comes to us that we really don’t want, as it did when God calls Moses to lead the people out of the bondage of Egypt.  We think we are not up to the task.  We cringe because to obey the call is difficult.  Often it means that people don’t like us.  In fact, once the people did follow Moses out of slavery, the landed in the middle of the desert and began yelling at their leader.  They wanted to know why he brought them to this God-forsaken place!  Moses must have concluded you can’t win.  All of us have been there!

            I appreciate how Sophfronia gives the woman credit for what Scott calls “a much-needed piece for discernment.”  She continues, “Sometimes you answer a call because there is work to be done that others cannot do.” (113)  I find this intriguing.  I too feel like I have been called to particular tasks.  In none of those cases do I think someone else could also have done the task.  But no one would have done it the way I did it.  In that sense my calling and response were unique.  I am willing to believe that is why God calls us in particular ways and perhaps to particular places.

            As I think further about call, it seems clear that we use that language of call to point to some claim that is laid on me that comes from somewhere other than my ego or what I necessarily want to do.  In the world of religion call typically is associated with God.  Even folks who are not necessarily religious sometimes vaguely can talk about being called.  They will use some language like “feeling drawn” or “compelled” to do something.  The might allude to some “force” in the universe who prompts them to do something.

            If I follow this logic, it seems clear that authentic calls come from outside my own egocentric desires and, therefore, my call puts my self a the service of something other than my own ego fulfillment.  I think authentic calls are other-focused.  To obey a call means I accept it is not about me.  If it is about me, then likely it is not a call.

            The final thing Scott says is something I probably should have thought about, but had never considered.  She talks about callings in the plural.  According to her, in our lifetime we are likely to be given multiple calls.  In saying this, I don’t think she wants to imply that someone who feels called to the priesthood, for example, is not called for a lifetime.  The corollary is also true. Just because someone is called to the priesthood, it does not necessarily mean it is a lifetime call---even for a Catholic. 

            One important implication of this is the point that calling is not limited to those folks who go into religious vocations, like the priesthood and the like.  I have no doubt that some are called to be social workers and some are called to be Sunday School teachers.  Calls tend not to be sexy, lucrative or roads to fame.  Those more likely are driven by our egos.  In fact, calls are more likely to put us at odds with some of our neighbors and place us out of touch with what makes people popular. Calls are more likely to be prophetic.  No wonder Moses said, “What? Me?”  I can relate!

            The last question I would have for Sophfronia is one she does not answer.  I wonder how folks know their call is finished or over?  This becomes especially true if we receive multiple callings in our life.  Maybe I have simply ask the bookend questions of calling: how do we get a call and how do we finish and get out of the call?  As I ponder that, I realize I probably will have yet another look at call sometime down the road.  But for now, this is where I am…thanks to my friend, Sophfronia Scott.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri