Skip to main content

Gleanings From the Group

       I have the pleasure of being part of a small group which meets online. We began shortly after the start of the Covid pandemic and just keep going. Many of the folks are people who have been part of my life at one point. A couple others are now friends, but they came to the group with someone else’s guidance. There is nothing unique about us or even distinctive. Our purpose in gathering is very simple. We want to explore life and talk about life from a spiritual perspective.

       I am not the leader. If we have a leader, it is the Spirit. It is wonderful to be part of a group which is so meaningful, but does not have to achieve and accomplish anything. I am content to see it as a gift. I am even willing to think that we are a gift of the Spirit to each other. At the spiritual level, life may actually be that way. However, too often we are too busy living our lives in the way we intend, such that we miss the pure giftedness of life itself. I am grateful to have hints and signs from this group that point me to some deeper truths in the universe.

    I want to share some gleanings from a recent meeting of the group. At this particular gathering, we spent some time thinking about signs in our lives. Our basic question was whether there have been signs which we took to be indicators from the Spirit that opened up to some opportunities in our lives. Everyone in the group had their own stories of signs. I recognize many in our world would dismiss this as nonsense, luck or some other explanation. If I am atheist, then I surely don’t think God speaks to us or provides signs for our lives. I respect that position, but it is not mine. God does have desires for us---individually and corporately. My hope in my life is to align my own desires with the Spirit’s desire. I share here some gleanings from this group detailing this process.

    When we think about signs, then we are aware the function of signs is to point out something---to signify. A sign has a message. It is a form of communication. But we have to see it, hear it and get it for it to be effective. This became evident to me as I listened to various ones in the group. There was an underlying assumption. That assumption basically affirms that “signs are all over the place; we just have to learn to be open.”

    I very much like that focus on being open. It sounds so simple and easy: just be open. It probably is simple and easy, but I can find multiple ways to make it difficult and, consequently, I become closed to the sign, therefore, missing the sign and the message signified. I close myself to signs of the Spirit when I control my own life. To be in control of life means I am not looking for anything to signify anything other than what I want. The group is correct. Often we do have to learn to be open.

    A second thing emerging out of the group was the affirmation that “God comes to us disguised as our life.” I think this may have been a quotation from someone, but I don’t recall who may have originally said it. This affirmation is actually a theological assertion based on faith. Interestingly to me, the affirmation is a different approach than many people’s assumption. Frequently in Christian churches, we expect to hear theologically that God is different from us and is elsewhere, i.e., God is transcendent.

    I would agree with the standard view of God as transcendent, to the degree this is one way of saying that we humans are not God. God is certainly within us and involved with us. To affirm God’s transcendence does not mean we have to say God is distant and uninvolved. I am confident this is what affirming that God comes to us disguised as our life is getting at. I also think that means often our own instincts are what God would want from us. I do believe God respects our own desires. For example, if I want to be helpful, I don’t think God cares where I do it.

    The last thing to come from the group affirms that “God walks with us whatever our choices are.” This does not deny that God has desires for each of us. But it also recognizes and affirms that we humans have free will and we make choices. Those can be good choices---maybe sometimes noble choices. It also recognizes that we can make bad or unfortunate choices.

    God was willing to risk human freedom so we could be free to choose and to love. However, we all know there are times when our choices are less than good---or flat our bad choices. But that does not mean God is done with us. To the contrary, God will walk with us whatever our choices. I can imagine God is pleased when I make good choices. God walks along applauding and encouraging.

    Even when I choose poorly, God walks along and tries to help me deal with my bad choices. God does not abandon any of us. Especially, God is in those places of negativity in choices trying to help us undo or get out of whatever mess we are making. In theological language, God is always redemptively present. God is not forceful, but God is confident. Finally and together, we all will become co-creators with God. When that day comes, we can truly say the kingdom has come. So be it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri