Skip to main content

Up the Holy Mountain

One of the things I always appreciate about being involved in the Spiritual Disciplines class is the fact that it puts me back into regular practicing of disciplines.  I know, as well as anyone, how important regular discipline is.  That does not matter if we talk about spiritual disciplines or physical disciplines, like walking, swimming, hiking, etc.  Of course, anyone who has ever tried to play the piano, violin, or any other musical instrument knows the necessity of discipline.

But most of us know how easy it is to fail at our disciplines.  Often it is easy to begin---to have high aspirations.  But then, we soon fall prey to problems.  Usually, one temptation is that we simply don’t want to do the discipline some day.  Skipping one day is not a problem.  However, skipping one day makes it easy to miss the second day.  And this begins to form the habit of failure.  We can rationalize that it does not matter; we probably were not going to be concert hall pianists anyway!

So being in my class is good for me.  I feel more responsible to be involved in my own discipline if I am going to expect the students to be involved in theirs.  In fact, feeling responsible for one’s involvement is a positive cue for success.  I can be responsible to other people; I can be responsible for some aspect of my self, such as my own physical or spiritual health.

One of the things I try to build into my routine is some daily engagement with the Christian Bible.  I usually follow the lectionary from the Benedictine monastery.  This offers daily readings from the Psalms---the heart of Benedictine spirituality.  Also regular readings from the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament give me more material to ponder.  

I try to read the selections slowly and more meditatively than I would if I were reading for a class.  With all the years of reading in my experience, I know I can read something fairly quickly to get the gist of what it says.  However, this spiritual reading is not for the purpose of understanding what I am reading.  On the contrary, it is for spiritual nurture and development.  

For example, I know I can read that God is love.  I could write a paper on it.  I can even explain the Greek words found in the New Testament.  But the real question is whether I can meditate on the words and let them form my spirit into ways that are pleasing to God and serviceable to my fellow humans.

To pursue this end, let me use a few words from the Psalmist found within today’s lectionary readings.  The Psalmist appeals to God: “Send forth your light and your truth; let them lead me away, let them lead me up your holy mountain, up to your sanctuary.” (Ps. 43:3)  I want to let these words soak into my soul.  I hear the Psalmist telling me I need to wait for God to send the Divine light and truth.  They will come if I wait and watch and welcome them.
And then I want to allow them to lead me away.  That sounds like a variation of the Lord’s Prayer theme: not my will but Your will.  Let me learn to live in Your light and Your truth.

Let the truth and light lead me up the holy mountain.  What a great image for this flatlander!  Let me ascend the holy heights.  Let me learn to live from this vantage point.  I know I cannot live on the mountain.  Like Moses, we also have to descend from the holy mountain below to where the people live.  But we can go down there with the Divine light and truth and make all the difference.

I get it now.  My spiritual discipline is my daily hike up the holy mountain so that when I come down I am able to live in the truth and light of the Holy One…up the mountain we go!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri