Skip to main content

Success or Hope

I am one of the vanishing breed of folks who still read newspapers.  My daughters and most students I know never touch the things.  They get all their news online.  I also am one of those people who always buy and read the local newspaper wherever I travel.  In fact, I really like landing in a little town somewhere and reading their local paper.  I read sports pages with names I never will know.  I read about church events, social occasions, and obituaries.  I can feel sad for someone’s tragic or unexpected death even though I have no connection.

I like my local paper, too.  Even though it is not as good as it was even ten years ago when I moved to town, I hate missing a day’s news.  Very recently I came across something in the sports section of the paper.  It is well known that Cleveland is a fanatical city about football.  The beloved football team, the Browns, have been pretty terrible for years now…but the faithful remain faithful.  Apparently reality has no place in the mind of a fanatic football fan.

This particular day the reporters were doing articles on some news hired folks the Browns have enlisted. In making the case for why this move would probably work in turning around fortunes, an owner of some other football team was quoted.  

The owner said something to the effect that a professional football team is either selling success or hope!  That perspective struck a cord in me.  I realized it was a pretty savvy insight.  And I realized it also had to do with more than just football.

Success and hope is an interesting pair of concepts.  In some real way they are both describing a stance or attitude in the present moment that attempts to forecast something for the future moment.  It might not be a bad way to look at life.

Success is easy to understand as an attitude.  If today I am a winner, if I have my act together, if the stars are all lining up perfectly, that can be a good predictor of tomorrow’s success, too.  Our English language is full of sayings that seem to underscore this: “the rich get richer,” for example comes to mind.  

But there is a significant portion of people in the world who do not feel successful, just as there are many professional football teams deemed unsuccessful.  If we are not successful, how can we “sell” our team or ourselves?  Hope!  If I am not successful, then perhaps I can find a way to create hope.  Hope is what I can do today that tomorrow might be different.

My friend is fond of saying craziness is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.  That is craziness and not hope!  And that is easy to apply to life.  Too many of us live lives that are crazy.  And probably not too many crazy lives are deemed successful.

A spiritual insight suggests that we re-visit the meaning of hope.  All too often, hope means waiting today for something different tomorrow.  The spiritual insight suggests that we switch verbs for hope.  Instead of simply defining hope as “waiting,” let’s redefine hope and make it “doing.”

Authentic hope often is doing something today that may well make tomorrow different.  For example, if I decide my life can be more successful---more meaningful---it probably is not sufficient to wait all day and all night “hoping” tomorrow will come with more meaning.

To the contrary, what about grounding hope in a commitment to a particular spiritual discipline?  Maybe I could start praying in order to feel connected to God, instead of merely “hoping” that I might become connected.

Lord, let me succeed.  And if not yet, give me the courage to begin doing something to create real hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri