Skip to main content

It Was Just Lunch

Recently I had a chance to visit my daughter who lives in a different city.  Luckily for me, where she lives is where one of my newer friends lives, namely, Ilia Delio.  Delio is a Franciscan Sister and Professor of Religion at Villanova.  She is a fascinating woman in many respects.  I always find Franciscans interesting.  She is also an intriguing person.  She almost vibrates with energy---which both of us would be fine calling the spirit.  She is better educated in the world of science than most of us and also has an advanced degree in theology.  She is very capable of working at the intersection of religion and science.  

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of hosting her on our campus for a couple days.  Her presentations were a fresh challenge to all who were present.  While seeing herself within the Christian tradition, she also realizes she is a pioneer of sorts.  She demonstrates how one can be part of a tradition without being hampered by an old-fashioned traditionalism.  One is alive; the other is dormant or dead.  She and I both want to be involved with the living Spirit of God.  

To be with her feels like being part of that venture to know that living Spirit and connect with it.  And so it was we made a date for lunch.  There was no agenda and no expectations.  But I am sure neither of us was worried.  Boring is not a word one would ever use to describe Delio.  I was going to be good with whatever we decided to talk about.  All you need is to begin.  Once a conversation gets started, the energy comes and the pace of ideas increase.  With her the weather can turn into global climate change and that topic morphs quickly into christogenesis and away we go!

Obviously, I cannot report on every facet of the conversation, but one piece of it provoked me to think about things in a new way.  Delio and I agreed that contemporary forms of Christian gatherings were less and less attractive to more and more people.  It is easy to find various polls indicating the church going habits of American people continues to decrease.  Of course, this does not mean everybody is going to quit going to church---or synagogue or temple.  But the times are a-changin, as the old song of Bob Dylan attests.

It is easy for me to imagine that Delio has an opinion or idea on nearly everything.  I was intrigued to know how she thought about this issue.  I like how she is able to frame so much of her thinking in an evolutionary context.  She agrees with her old teacher Ewert Cousins and Thomas Berry that we are entering a new era of consciousness, one they call “the second axial consciousness.”  Delio comments, “This shift in consciousness has sped up in the last fifty years due to computer technology and the internet and we see signs of it all around us: gender plurality, interspirituality, ecological awareness, socially just communities.”  It is easy to see in this one sentence how many themes are available for so many more lunches.

I am aware from her books that Delio thinks humans are evolving into what she calls “cyborgs.”  I admit I am not sure how I feel about that.  I think I may simply finish my time on earth as a human being.  I am a user of technology, but am not sure I am ready for a chip implant, as she thinks will soon be on the horizon for our kids.  But then I laugh, because so many folks I know have pacemakers.  Is a computer chip all that different?

There is no doubt, our world is quickly rethinking how to understand and talk about gender difference, our ecology and the like.  On these and so many other current issues, it seems easy and sad to watch the church choose traditionalism.  I am convinced folks will continue to vote with their feet as they leave---perhaps looking for meaning and community in new ways and in new places.

When we ponder what it means to be human, I was instructed by Delio’s quoting from spirituality writer, Beatrice Bruteau who talks about a person as “the creative activity of life as it projects itself to the next instant.”  Delio also quotes from Katherine Hayles who writes about posthuman beings.  As Delio shared, from Hayle’s view, “a new humanism is developing directly at the borderline of simulation and materiality.  In her perspective, the scientific language of complexity theory — dissipative structures, fluidities, porous boundaries, and bifurcations — forms the constitutive principles of a new humanism enabled by the regime of computation.”

Whew!  This is how lunch goes.  I came for a simple Mexican meal only to encounter a new humanism!  We are developing at the borderline of simulation and materiality.  I think I know what both of those words mean, but I am going to have to ready Hayles and become more educated.  I have heard of complexity theory.  Complexity is more mysterious than complicated.  We can figure out complicated things.  They can be solved.  Complexity, on the other hand, is too random---it cannot be figured out.  

I find all this very exciting.  And then, Delio adds, “Posthuman life is giving rise to a new sense of community.”  I am drawn to more of this conversation, but the check has come.  The good news is there will be another good conversation about a new community.  I want to be part of that---not just discussing new community, but being part of one---maybe helping create one.  

I pay and promise to call her again when I am back in town.  I may just create another trip soon so I can go to lunch! 



https://www.globalsistersreport.org/news/global-sisters-report/way-posthuman-life-could-revitalize-religious-communities




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri