Skip to main content

Boundaries and Space

One of the pleasant things I am afforded is to be part of some groups where routinely people who are smart and have very different experiences than I do share some of what they are doing.  One group has people from the sports world, including professional sports, from academia, the military, business world and more.  Of course, not everything shared is of interest to me or even relevant.  But I don’t know how you tell before sitting with a group and hearing what is being said.  Often, I get a tidbit and then have to figure out how it applies to my life and my work.  It keeps me thinking!

Recently I was in a group where the presenter of the day offered some comments about two different kinds of systems, as he put it.  The two systems are complicated and complex.  I have heard of this distinction and even heard other folks differentiate them, but I have not paid enough attention to make that knowledge really functional.  That means I don’t have the information at the front of my brain and don’t have it operating in situations where I am leading and should be figuring out whether my problem is complicated or complex.   

Complicated systems are linear and connected.  The example used in the presentation was of a car engine.  There are many parts, and their relationship seems beyond my comprehension, but it is only complicated.  With complicated problems we do have a solution; you just have to figure it out.  Complex systems, on the other hand, have no logic or connection built within.   You don’t rationally “figure it out.”  In fact, every action you take probably creates a new thing.  Likely the best you can do is try to manage the situation.  There is a way in which complexity keeps changing.

One small part of the conversation focused on the issue of boundaries.  Learning to set some boundaries in our working on complex problems helps us to begin to figure out how to manage the situation.  This provoked me to begin pondering boundaries---how I set them, use them and could improve how I do this.  At some level, I think the issue of boundaries can be become a spiritual issue.  

We all know what a boundary is.  It can be a line.  I think of the role boundaries play in sports.  A basketball court, baseball field or soccer pitch has clearly marked boundaries.  The separation of what is the field of play and what is out of bounds.  In effect, the boundary sets a limit.  If you cross that line, you are out of bounds.  The game has to be playing within the boundaries.  As I think more about this, it seems to me our character and moral virtues or values set our boundaries.  

Something like the Ten Commandments are a good example of God setting some boundaries for believers.  We are told things like, “don’t kill.”  Organizations create rules, which are boundaries.  There appropriately are policies against harassment and abuse.  If you break these rules, you have gone out of bounds.  If we look at the world of psychology, we recognize there are some predictable limits or boundaries people should set, if they want to be healthy.  Some boundaries are physical and emotional.  Other boundaries have to do with our time and our material possessions.  Currently, there is discussion of sexual boundaries.  At a different time, we could develop all of these.

When I think about the spiritual realm and boundaries, some things are clear.  Obviously, there are rules, like the Ten Commandments, that many folks of faith think this is the “deal” God made with the people when they were brought into relationship.  As the Hebrew Bible puts it, God says in effect, “You will be my people and I will be your God.  Keep the commandments and I’ll bless you.”  And so, God sets certain boundaries of the relationship.  And certainly, some of the psychological boundaries we noted apply.  For example, as spiritual people, we still need emotional boundaries, etc.  

Spiritual communities set certain boundaries for their people.  A good example here is the knowledge I have that when I am with a Catholic community, I should ask for a blessing instead of the wafer and wine.  Even if that makes no sense to me, I respect the boundary.  I know that I am welcome there and that is why I delight to participate in worship with a Catholic community.  

I also think about ministry, because not only have I done ministry---service really, I think all people who call themselves spiritual are under some obligation for ministry.  As I ponder this, I am not sure there are boundaries to the places and forms of ministry.  When I look at Jesus, he hung out with people who clearly were sinners.  That does not mean he had to sin.  He was willing to heal people regardless of their status.  His intent was to offer salvation---wholeness and wellness, as I understand it---to all comers.  I am not sure he had a doctrinal litmus test.  Maybe he did not even have a level of ethical living that qualified a person for salvation.  Of course, he did expect there to be intent and willingness to improve one’s life and to commit to their own form of ministry.

Maybe it is fair to say as a believer, I have boundaries, but my ministry has not boundaries.  I want to think more about this, but this is my starting point.



https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/six-types-of-boundaries-and-what-healthy-boundaries-look-like-for-each  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri