Skip to main content

Jesus in the Car Ahead

I was running a few minutes late, but I decided I still had time to stop by my usual coffee place for a cup of coffee.  Since Covid, that normally means picking it up at the drive-through window.  Timing is everything the saying goes, and my timing was not very good.  I know if I go earlier, the line is not long.  And so, it takes less time to move through to my desired coffee.  If I am later, as I was this morning, the line is longer.  This is another one of those perverse laws of the universe!

Because the place I stop is popular, there is always a line of cars.  Dutifully I pulled into line behind an older SUV.  Claiming to be spiritual, I should settle into prayer and supplication or something like that, as I inch toward my goal.  However, I was more intent on trying to will the line to move faster.  Obviously, my powers were weak that morning, since we were in more of a creeping mode.  Looking at my watch did not make the line move any faster either.  If I had been more aware, I would have noticed I was getting frustrated.  

The SUV finally got to the microphone where we place our order.  I noticed the driver was a woman.  I mention that, but it makes no difference to the story.  But because she was taking a little too much time in my estimation, I realized I did not like her!  Her car did not move, and my frustration formed into some anger at the woman.  Without realizing it, I was blaming her for the slow line and, more than likely, for me being a little late in the first place.  I am glad I was not praying, because who knows what I might have petitioned God to do!

Finally, she moved on and I ordered my coffee.  Once again, I was close behind the SUV.  Expecting her to grab whatever she took too long ordering, I felt soon I would be on my way and all would be well, as Julian of Norwich assures us.  Unbelievably, the woman became a problem again.  Instead of her getting her stuff and moving on, there she sat in that SUV.  It never occurred to me the problem might be in the coffee shop.  No, it was definitely the woman’s fault!  The universe had ceased working efficiently because of her stupidity or something.  I thought about yelling at her or honking, but I am too nice for that.  I have an image to protect!

Finally, she moved on and I approached the window.  I reached my money to the attendant, but she only handed me my coffee and said, “The woman in the car in front of you paid for your coffee and wishes you a blessed day.”  “Oh my,” I thought.  Maybe I should have thought, “Oh my God!”  I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.  Either one would be an appropriate response.  

I laughed.  I laughed because maybe a prayer had been answered.  Perhaps the prayer I never uttered, that had been answered, was for a teachable moment.  A teachable moment is what I was given.  I realized stupidity had jumped out of the SUV into my car.  It was not the woman who was stupid; it was me!  Thinking she was stupid boomeranged.  It came back and landed on me.  There was only one stupid person in line and I realized who it was.  I have problems with smart people being stupid.  And I was the one!

Maybe it was because I was heading toward teaching two religion classes.  This perhaps precipitated me to think about my experience in theological terms.  I assumed I did not know the woman in the SUV.  She was a nameless, anonymous irritant in my life.  While she was the focal point of my irritation, it was a global irritation.  I used her to conclude the universe was colluding to make my day go badly.  

However, my thinking changed when the attendant told me the woman ahead of me had paid for the coffee and blessed my day.  I laughed again.  I think that was Jesus in the car ahead.  Oh, I know it was a woman in the car, but I am sure the presence of the spirit of Jesus can be in women as surely as men.  I know Jesus drives an SUV, drinks coffee and orders doughnuts.  And Jesus knows guys in cars behind her SUV are grumpy and need to be gifted and blessed---especially the guy in the car right behind hers.  So, Jesus laughed.

Jesus decided to do a little miracle that morning.  Jesus handed over another couple dollars to pay for my coffee and told the attendant to bless me.  I bet Jesus had a good laugh as she drove out of the place onto the road.  Maybe Jesus had the last laugh!  Maybe this was a lesson in going the second mile.  Jesus did not walk a mile for me, but she did pay for my coffee and offer a blessing.  Thank you, Jesus!

Obviously, I am a slow learner.  I do think the spirit of Jesus can be present in all of us.  That is exactly what God wants.  It could be a cure for grumpiness and a whole host of other problems.  I am going to try to do better.  I want to be grateful for this, welcome this and embody it, like my teacher in the SUV.  Actually, she did get the last laugh.  For two dollars and a blessing, she probably had a great day.  She was living in grace and as a giver of that grace, no doubt experienced her own boomerang effect.

I am grateful to know that Jesus may well be in the car ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri