Skip to main content

Heaven, Hell and Everything in Between

One class I teach focuses on different aspects of theology.  It is an interesting one to teach, but is fraught with some tricky discussions.  In a classroom of average young adults, there is a widespread range of beliefs.  Certainly a number of college students grow up in the church.  In my part of the world there is always a fair number of Roman Catholics.  And just as predictably, there is a range of the normal group of Protestant churches---Methodists, Episcopalians, and the rest.  It is not unusual for there to be some larger non-denominational churches represented.  And of course these days, there are typically quite a few who never went to church and sometimes, some convinced atheists in the room.  It is an interesting mix. 

Talking about God usually goes fairly well.  Even for a number of the students who never went or seldom went to church, they still believe in God.  This is the “I’m spiritual, but not religious” group.  And some believe in a Higher Power or some entity not usually named “God.”  Talking about Jesus can be trickier.  Even for those who believe Jesus is the Christ and is also God, they have never thought very deeply about it.  I understand.  When I was their age, neither had I!  But at least, it is easy to believe Jesus was a really good guy.  He can be a model moral figure---regardless of his divine status.  

And then comes the end.  The fancy theological word for it is eschatology.  That simply means how we think about the end or, as it sometimes is labeled, end times.  Of course, this is a personal question that is wrapped around our own individual deaths.  And it is a legitimate question for planet earth and, ultimately, a cosmic question.  Will the world some day end?  Even if God is in the picture for us, there are a range of possible answers.   

The book I use for the class provokes the discussion by entitling the chapter “Heaven.”  It is normal for me to hear that word, because the Quaker meeting I first called home would have easily and naturally used that term.  I am sure I began to use it without being quite sure I knew what I meant.  Heaven would have been the place people go when they die---at least good people. 

I don’t remember anybody ever really teaching me anything.  I know some hymns had that word in it.  And at funerals and memorial services, I likely heard it referenced.  I also heard the language of kingdom, but not sure anyone ever talked about how kingdom might relate to heaven.  They were just different terms.  I never thought I would need to know anything specific.  But as I got older, questions creeped into my consciousness.   

Probably the first few times we actually come to grips that we, too, probably will one day die is when I got more interested in heaven.  In the face of death, it does not seem so abstract!  This is especially true if we also got the idea of hell when we were given the concept of heaven.  I know I got the pair.  And when you hook both of these ideas up to some notion of moral action, the plot thickens.  What can you do that is not good and still manage to get heaven instead of hell?  At some point, I became clear I was not clear! 

Was it really true that smoking or drinking was enough to merit a trip down instead of up?  Or was the line drawn more at the Ten Commandments level?  As I got to college and became exposed to more variations, I only became more clear that I was not clear.  I learned how to pose my questions with a little more sophistication.  I realized what I posed with respect to the heaven question was some notion of conditionality. 

Were there conditions that determined one’s entrance or denial into heaven?  For example, you could get in on the condition that you don’t murder anyone.  That seemed clear until I thought about soldiers in a war.  Certainly, there were times they killed someone.  And occasionally police have to shoot someone.  Is killing someone different than murdering?  The question raged on for quite some time.  It was apparent early on that many people make particular beliefs the condition for entering heaven.  For many folks only Christians get in.  The rest of the world don’t believe the right things.  So belief is the condition that determines things. 

My way through to my own perspective was to realize that the “heaven question” is as much a God issue as it is a human issue.  I came to define heaven as “being with God,” whatever that might mean.  Right now I see that as mystery, with which I am ok.  But I also realize it is not a very good answer for many others. 

If there are conditions for being with God, i.e. being in heaven, then those conditions are set by God.  I know this does not really answer it for many folks.  The ones who are sure that right belief is the criterion or condition for heavenly participation will not be happy with my current thinking.  They have conclusions; it seems as if I am still in process of making up my mind. 

I like the fact I may be in process.  That sounds better than not being able to make up my mind.  There is so much to ponder when you think about heaven, hell and everything in between.  I know I am getting closer to death every day.  But I am ok with that.  Maybe I am trying to be with God this day.  And with the help of John’s Gospel, heaven might already be here now---at least in some form.  Tomorrow is another chance at heaven! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri