Skip to main content

A Spiritual Jacuzzi

Leave it to Sister Joan Chittister to tell it like it is.  I have long admired this Benedictine Sister of the Benedictine monastery in Erie, PA, where I once had the privilege of speaking.  The only disappointing thing about that experience was Sr. Joan was out of town and did not show up.  I did not care whether she was there to listen to me, but I did want to greet her and maybe even spend a little bit of time chatting. 

Joan Chittister has been a Benedictine nun for a long time now.  She is a prolific writer and commentator on the spiritual life and the Church---Catholic and otherwise.  She has been a modern day prophet in our midst.  Sr. Joan has one foot in the scriptural witness to the life and ministry of Jesus and the other foot in our contemporary world with all of its problems and promises. For those who think Jesus may not be speaking to our world, I would counter that perhaps Jesus speaks through people, such as Joan Chittister.  Perhaps she is the proper spokesperson and not the ecclesiastical authorities.  It’s worth considering.  I share some of her most recent thoughts as evidence. 

In a recent speech to the Communicators of Women Religious, Chittister lays it on the line.  In the beginning “Chittister recounted her own naiveté in believing that change would come once people understood social imbalances, the second-class status of women, the marginalization of people of color and the theological deviance of clericalism.”  In effect, she thought that knowledge would dispel any doubt as to the direction the church need to grow.  But then she said, “I got it.”  This leads to unfortunate conclusions. 

She lists a disappointing array of issues that she now “gets.”  Let’s look at these, because they should all concern us---both within the church and beyond.  She laments, “There really are forces that are working consciously against cultural change."  She is absolutely right.  If our world is going to address problems, then there has to be cultural change.  And that does not come easy---especially for those of us who seemingly have it all.  But we likely don’t think we have it all.  And that is part of the problem.    

She continues her critique with a long, but telling, couple of sentences.  "Built into society, it seems, is the wanton destruction of creation for the sake of personal profit.  The casual dismissal of scientific concern for the care of the Earth, the ongoing destruction of nature for money, and the gall to enshrine a minimum wage rather than provide a living wage, and under it all, a new political goal: the increasing concern by politicians to create a political base for themselves in order to retain their seats for years rather than secure the future of the country.”  Of course, it is possible to debate this.  But I am convinced. 

It is important to understand that she does not necessarily undermine capitalism.  But I would argue that it is capitalism with a modern focus that should count.  We are already witnessing many capitalists arguing that we should not only consider profits as the sole determiner of success.  There needs to be a corollary commitment to the social responsibility factor.  This would see profit and eradication of poverty as both important.  Profit and caring for our fragile earth are both goals of our life and work.  

Chittister then turns to an interesting discussion of Jesus, who obviously stands at the center of the Christian understanding.  We can summarize her position with this observation, “The popular embrace of ‘Jesus the healer’ has obscured the more radical Jesus, who challenged the status quo and religious leaders of his time.”  Much can be said for Jesus the healer.  Healing was a significant ministry he offered to a whole range of people.  But Chittister is correct.  This is only half the story. 

The other half is Jesus the radical, as she calls him.  This is the Jesus who was the critique of the status quo---the Sadducees and Pharisees, whom Christians love to parody.  She is the one who sided with the poor and the down and out.  He challenged the rich and famous.  Switching to today, those of us with much---and much to lose---may find this Jesus a little too much. 

I admire Chittister’s ability to put it poignantly.  She declares, “We live in an era that accepts half of what it means to follow Jesus…We want our religion in a spiritual Jacuzzi, a feel-good spiritual world.”  I can laugh, but it is a painful laugh.  I wince because I have to see if my religion is the real deal or is it a version of a spiritual jacuzzi.  As long as I am ministering, I am offering a nice bath or a refreshing dose of reality! 

When I think about the widening gap between the rich and the poor, about climate change or about the nature of politics these days, I have to admit a spiritual jacuzzi is not where appropriate change is going to happen.  And we may even be to the place where appropriate change is going to have to be drastic change.  Climate-wise, is it going to be a planet fit for my grandkids?   That is just one serious question. 

Maybe our choice is jacuzzi or wake-up call.   


https://www.globalsistersreport.org/news/people/chittister-model-jesus-healer-only-half-christian-dispensation 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri