Skip to main content

You Mustn’t Be Cold

People wonder how I come up with ideas to write about in my spiritual discipline of reflection and writing these inspirational pieces.  I am not sure there is only one answer. Sometimes I am fortunate, and something pops into my mind and the thing feels half written.  But more often, I find an idea because I am open and I am looking for one.  It is probably obvious much of this comes from reading quite a bit and reading rather broadly.  Sometimes it comes from a comment someone makes.  Be curious, be open and be engaging.  That actually sounds like a pretty good way to live life.

I always feel fortunate when I bump into something that intrigues me.  Often, I will begin reading it without knowing whether there is an idea I want to ponder and about which I want to write.  That just happened when I was reading one of my favorite regular publications.  I spotted a headline that immediately drew me to it and I knew I had to read it.  The headline said, “Religion entered into me”: A Talk with Jane Goodall, 2021 Templeton Prize winner.”  Of course, I knew who Goodall was and I am aware of the Templeton Foundation as the place that supports religion and science working together to help us understand our world and to life more peaceful lives together.

I know a little about Sir John Templeton who is described as “the late investor and philanthropist.”  We were told that he set up the Foundation and the aware “to honor those who use science to explore humankind’s place and purpose within the universe.”  It is a prestigious award and $1.5 million nice sum to pocket.  The article says Goodall is 87 years old and has lived a wonderful life.  She spent a long time in the jungle in Tanzania.  She was 26 when she went there from her native England.  Now she has retired back in her home country. 

The article quotes Templeton’s granddaughter, Heather Templeton Dill, who said of Goodall, “Her discoveries have profoundly altered the world’s view of animal intelligence and enriched our understanding of humanity in a way that is both humbling and exalting.”  I am sure this is true, and we could leave it at that.  However, when I ponder that sentence, I realize it can be reflective of a spirituality.  Clearly, God is not mentioned.  I recognize that some folks think God needs to be explicitly talked about for religion to be present.  But I am more subtle than that.

I always thought Goodall approached her work from a spiritual perspective.  She was patient and sensitive.  She did not rush and was not pushy.  Most folks I interact with are in too much of a hurry actually to see anything---much less discover something.  Often, we are in so much of a hurry, we don’t even discover ourselves.  My deceased monk friend, Thomas Merton, talks eloquently about this.  He says we are living out of our false selves.

I sense this is what the author of the article also picked up.  Yonat Shimron interviewed Goodall and has this to say about her.  “Her conviction that humans are part of nature, not separate from it, led her to develop her own unique cosmology.  She has said she believes in a higher power, what she has called a divine intelligence.”  Those words hold some important truths.  Contemporary humans tend to see humans as somewhat apart from nature.  We talk about human nature and nature, as if they were separate entities.  

Apparently, Goodall affirms her belief in a higher power, as Shimon described it.  When she was asked about her growing up years, she said her family was loosely affiliated with the Congregational Church in her English hometown of Bournemouth.  Goodall told the interviewer, “We weren’t a particularly religious family.  We went to church sometimes.”  She confessed that she fell in love with the minister there when she was 16.  She meant basically she had a crush on him.  At this point, she comments, “Religion entered into me. It felt like I had a secret understanding of something other people perhaps didn’t share.  But I had no compulsion to share it.”

I appreciate her humanness here.  And I value her humor and humility.  I think I can also identify with religion coming into me.  I am sure it did not come into me like it did for Goodall.  But it does come into people.  That is good and a joy.  And when religion comes into you, you have to do something about it.  Goodall did.  She went into the jungle to deal with chimps and, it turns out, God.  

Listen to what she says.  “After I’d begun to succeed with the chimps, that’s when I had time to pause and that’s when I developed a really strong feeling of spiritual connection with the natural world.”  I wish we all could develop this strong feeling of spiritual connection.  I am confident we would be nicer people and would treat our world much better.  That is a vision worth chasing.  

This becomes clear when Goodall was asked what advice she would give to a 10-year-old aspiring scientist.  She replied, “I would tell them you mustn’t be cold.”  By that she means we need to learn empathy.  I take it further.  We need love, compassion and working for peace in this world.  All this is work of spiritual folks.  We are all needed.  You mustn’t be cold! 


  




 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri